MAP35: The Waste Tunnels (PlayStation Doom)
|Console level navigator|
|◂||The Waste Tunnels||▸|
MAP35: The Waste Tunnels is the thirty-fifth level of the Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of Doom, and the fifth level of the Doom II episode. It is based on the original MAP05: The Waste Tunnels, with modifications made to adapt the map to the consoles' limitations. The author of the original map is American McGee.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
The opening conditions of the level are dependent on the chosen skill level. On I am a Wimp or Not Too Rough, there is a shotgun at the gate in front of you. However, on Hurt Me Plenty or Ultra Violence, a soulsphere can be seen in the distance, and the shotgun is replaced by a super shotgun.
Walk straight ahead at the start to enter a corridor. Beware the monsters that guard the area. Stay away from the walls, as there are several sinking platforms that can lead you to surprise encounters with imps that reside in small chambers below the floor. Head east towards the door at the end of the room. When you reach it, you will find that the floor in front of it is a concealed platform as well. At this point, you are faced with a dark corridor with flashing lights pointing in two directions.
Head straight forward down the path in front of you. At the end of the path, there is a lift leading to a brick-floored hall. Go through the door on the northern side of the hall to get behind the barred area. Follow the corridor around to the east to reach the red keycard. Continue down the passage and drop into a network of water tunnels.
Go through the red door that is straight ahead. On Hurt Me Plenty or Ultra Violence, a Hell knight waits behind the door. After defeating him, pick up the blue keycard, proceed through a second red door, and enter the blue door on your left.
Behind the door, continue west or east around the wall. Then proceed along the narrow ledge to the yellow keycard, which will cause two nearby walls to open and reveal cacodemons. When you collect the yellow key, a bridge will rise across the water pit to the exit door. Cross the bridge, open the exit door and press the switch behind it to finish.
Other points of interest
In the starting corridor with the sinking platforms, the north-western imp chamber holds an armor pickup as well as two stimpacks. You can get there by moving towards the wall between the two red torches using small movements; with practice, you can make the floor lower without actually standing on it, letting you kill the imps from above.
After entering the dark corridor with flashing lights, you will see a flashing arrow pointing to a door on the left. Behind the door, there is a winding hallway with a soulsphere at its end. Notice that when you are at a hairpin turn, a room with a monster will be revealed in the direction you came from.
The southern path from the aforementioned dark corridor leads to a short hall with a series of doors. As you enter the new area, a door will close behind you, trapping you in temporarily unless you retreat rapidly. (Note that if you end up trapped outside the hall, you can reopen the door by returning to the platform at the fork.) Each of the northern doors covers a room with a switch. The arrows on the floor indicate what the toggles will do.
The switch with the left-pointing arrow will open the door that prevented you from escaping. The one with the right-pointing arrow will open a chamber with a megaarmor and a box of bullets at the other end of the hall. The third switch with a down-pointing arrow will open a door at the back of the room that is opposite the switch. The opened route is connected to the water tunnels leading to the first red door. Face east in this area and go to the end of the watery passage - here is a staircase on the left that leads to the brick-floored hall.
The south-east section of the water tunnels form a rectangular loop. The space in the middle of this loop can be accessed from its south side. There is a room with a rocket launcher guarded by a group of zombiemen. If you then enter the door to the west, you can get into the dry corridor behind the barred windows. The place holds a box of shells. On the three easiest skill levels, you can also find one or two medikits.
- The first corridor of the level has a row of windows. Run through the eastern-most window to reach a platform overlooking the outdoor area beyond. Upon entering the room next to the platform, a wall will open revealing some shotgun guys. After dealing with them, open the northern wall of the room to return to the previous corridor. Upon doing so, a floor will also lower at the far wall straight ahead of you. Quickly run into this hole to obtain a plasma gun. (sector 150) You can also lower the wall and platform leading to the secret by pressing the northern green torch next to where the blue keycard is located.
- Once you have obtained the soul sphere at the end of the winding hallway, open the back wall of the alcove to reveal a berserk pack. (sector 43)
- When approaching the yellow keycard in the final room, two walls will open on the southern wall, releasing cacodemons. After dispensing with them, you can enter either of the two exposed holes (both lead to the same area) by running in from the higher platform. Inside are some imps guarding a box of shells, a box of rockets and an energy cell pack. (sector 113)
On Ultra Violence skill level, two lost souls in the water tunnel past the red keycard (things 105 and 106) occupy the same position and are immobile until one of them is killed. This issue is inherited from the PC version.
Comparison of versions
Several differences exist in this level compared to the PC version.
- There are fewer flashing lights in the dark tunnel east of the starting area.
- The alcove between secret #1 and the tunnel leading to secret #2 is blocked with translucent red windows instead of grates.
- The two openings either side of the exit door are narrower and spaced further apart. The ledges next to these openings have been given a slightly convex shape, making it easier to get into secret #3.
- The Hell knight guarding the blue keycard on Ultra Violence also appears on Hurt Me Plenty.
- The demons found in the water pit before the exit on easy skill levels are replaced with spectres.
- The lift leading to the dark corridor with flashing lights cannot be lowered from below. Walkover lines to perform this action were added in v1.9 of Doom, but the console ports of Doom II are based on v1.666.
Areas / screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Sony PlayStation||"Mutation"||Aubrey Hodges||See PlayStation Doom music.|
|Sega Saturn||"The Broken Ones"||Aubrey Hodges||See Saturn Doom music.|
This level contains five spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 38)
- facing east. (thing 39)
- facing south. (thing 40)
- facing south. (thing 41)
- facing west. (thing 42)