MAP37: Dead Simple (PlayStation Doom)
|Console level navigator|
MAP37: Dead Simple is the thirty-seventh level of Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of Doom, and the seventh level of the Doom II episode. It is based on the original MAP07: Dead Simple with modifications made to adapt to the consoles' limitations. The author of the original map is American McGee.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
Beginning in a narrow room, first collect the ten backpacks on your left and the super shotgun on your right. When ready, press the switch to lower the walls around you and reveal several mancubi. When all the mancubi are dead, the outer walls will open revealing an additional area with arachnotrons. Once they are all dead, a step will rise around the skull switches in the center of the room. Climb the steps to the switches and press any of them to finish the level.
Other points of interest
The level contains four partial invisibility powerups, one in each corner of the inner area of the level.
The four square platforms in the inner area hold a rocket launcher, a plasma gun, a chaingun and a megasphere. A berserk pack can also be found on the ground between the two western platforms. You can lower the platforms by pressing the skull switches on the north and south walls, which will also release any mancubi standing on the platforms.
The outer area with arachnotrons holds numerous ammo pickups. On multiplayer this area also holds a rocket launcher, a super shotgun, a chaingun, a plasma gun and another megasphere.
There is a small room in the north-west corner of the map which contains a BFG9000, an energy cell pack and another exit switch, but can only be accessed during deathmatch. A player spawning inside this room can open it from inside by approaching the east wall.
- The step that when you kill all the enemies on the level is counted as secret when you step on it. (sector 1) However, in deathmatch game sessions it is possible to miss it if players choose to activate the alternate exit (see above).
The BFG9000 and the energy cell pack in the north-west alcove can only be reached in deathmatch, but will appear in single-player games because they are not flagged as multiplayer-only.
Comparison of versions
The PlayStation version only features some cosmetic differences to the map while keeping the level's geometry the same:
- The flat enclosing the four exit switches uses another grass variation (GRASS02).
- Switch textures are changed through the level. This level features three different switch textures, an unusual number for console levels:
- The starting chamber uses a red/green light on metal wall texture (named SW1MET2 on PC), instead of a gargoyle face on metal wall (SW1GARG).
- The switches to lower the square platforms use a skull switch on metal wall texture, instead of a red/green light on brown wall (SW1DIRT).
- The exit switches in the center of the room use a skull switch on metal wall texture, instead of a cacodemon eye (SW1SKIN).
- The alternative exit switch in the deathmatch-only room uses a gargoyle face on metal wall texture (SW1GARG), instead of a satyr face (SW1SATYR).
The Saturn version is the same with only a different music track and no colored lighting.
Areas / screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Sony PlayStation||"Creeping Brutality"||Aubrey Hodges||See PlayStation Doom music.|
|Sega Saturn||"Hell's Churn"||Aubrey Hodges||See Saturn Doom music.|
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 47)
- facing south. (thing 48)
- facing north. (thing 49)
- facing north. (thing 50)
- facing west. (thing 51)
- facing east. (thing 84)