MAP45: Tenements (PlayStation Doom)
|Console level navigator|
MAP45: Tenements is the forty-fifth level of the Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of Doom, and the fifteenth level of the Doom II episode. It is based on the original MAP17: Tenements, with modifications made to adapt the map to the consoles' limitations. The author of the original map is John Romero.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
Head forward across the concrete bridge until you pass through a metal doorway. Turn left here and go forward to a rock cavern with a narrow path leading down to the red skull key. As you step down the narrow path, the entrance to this room will temporarily close and alcoves will open in the walls to release several enemies. After picking up the red key, drop into the south blood pit and step on the small teleporter in the south-west corner to get outside the room quickly.
Once you are outside the rock cavern, head up the staircase on your left to a red door. Go through it (taking the armor here if needed) and press the switch here, then go back down the stairs and up another staircase going east. Press the switch ahead (in a glowing red sector) and the floor beneath you will lower to take you to another room with a berserk pack. Follow the passage here to another switch and press it to lower another lift. Ride this lift up to a room overlooking the start area and press the switch on the left to open the way forward, then press the switch on the right and drop back into the starting area.
Head north and go through the tan metal door that is now open to reach an outdoor area. Head through the doorway on your right as you enter this area and follow the corridor until you reach two staircases going in opposite directions. Take the staircase on your left and press use on the wall under the red firestick (it is a concealed switch), which will open the wall between the two nearby blue firesticks. Go through this wall, climb the stairs here and press the switch at the top. Turn right (taking the megaarmor) and drop out of the window ahead, where you will see a bridge rising ahead of you. Cross the bridge and drop into the narrow pit ahead, then press the switch on your right to raise the floor of the pit. Go back across the bridge and the two staircases to find that the nukage pit here is now spanned by another bridge. Cross it and take the blue skull key.
Backtrack to the outdoor nukage area and head straight across to the blue door. Once through this door, go left and climb up the stairs here. When you reach the top, a small alcove will open behind you containing a soulsphere. Go into this alcove before it shuts and take the powerup if needed, then go back up the stairs to find that a wall has opened to reveal a switch. Press the switch to open a door in the chamber on the opposite side of the room. Head to the other side of the room and climb the stairs here, going through the opening in the wall to a dark passage. Follow the passage to a room with a beating heart on a column, then head east and drop off of the ledge into a nukage pit. The floor in front of you will lower - go to it before it rises again to collect the yellow skull key. If the floor rises before you reach it, press the switch on the west side of the nukage pit.
Go back through the blue door to the outdoor area and go to the north side of the wooden pillar in this area. Open the yellow door here and flip the switch behind it to lower the yellow bars blocking the way forward. Pass the bars and head forward to a set of white stairs that go in two different directions. Go left at the fork and follow the stairs to the upper level of the room you just passed through. Open the door on your right to enter a tall room with a central cage, then follow the stairs round to a switch. Press it to open a door in the previous room and backtrack to the forked white staircase.
This time, go right at the fork in the staircase and follow the steps round to jump to the door you just opened. Go through it and press the switch on your left to lower the lift ahead. Ride this lift to the top and take the plasma gun ahead of you. This will open a passage in the north wall - follow it to the end and another passage will open nearby. Keep following the passages until you hit dead ends - eventually, two of the passages will end in bloody walls while the third leads to an exit teleporter. Step into this to finish the level.
Other points of interest
In the blue keycard area, drop into the southern nukage pit and flip the switch on the east wall to lower the floor. This will reveal a hidden alcove in the south wall - enter it and take the lift upwards to a passage leading to a chaingun. From here you can return to a room north of the starting area.
In the yellow key area, your path to find the key will lead you to a room with a beating heart on a green column. From here, you can go west to find a river that goes north and south. If you go south you can follow the river to a partial invisibility powerup; if you go north you will find a backpack at the end of the path.
The pillar in the center of the outdoor area has an armor pickup at its base, and a soulsphere on top of the pillar. To get to the powerup, go through the yellow skull bars and turn left at the forked staircase ahead. Follow the steps up until you leap to a dark ledge, then go straight ahead to a teleporter which will put you on top of the pillar.
- At the far northern end of the map, there is a narrow raised walkway shaped like a 3. Drop into the nukage pit north of the walkway, turn around and press the gray stone wall of the walkway to lower it. Ahead is a switch; flip it to open up a wall back to the north. Jump into the hole from the eastern side of the walkway. It leads to a BFG9000. (sector 78)
- Pressing the switch in the room with the caged cacodemon opens a door to the east, just south of the 3 walkway. Go through that door and lower the lift in the next room. Step on the lift and start pushing against the south wall; you will pass through a translucent wall section when the lift moves back up. (sector 112) Behind it is a megasphere.
- Two imps (things 14 and 15) that appear on Ultra Violence skill level are trapped behind the back wall of the alcove west of the starting area, making it impossible to get 100% kills on that skill level. This occurs because the alcove was shortened on console ports, but the affected imps were not moved to compensate.
- In the blood room to the west of the starting area's junction where the red skull key is found, eight textures (linedefs 221-224, 226, 227, 229 and 230) on the white rock bridge have improper offsets, appearing distorted and inverted.
- The cacodemon in the cage in the north-western room (thing 435) is translucent, most likely due to a mapping error. Some of the walls in this room (linedefs 859-862 and 876) appear slightly stretched due to the height of the room exceeding 256 units.
Comparison of versions
Several changes were made to this level compared to the PC version.
- Most staircases have fewer steps.
- All switches use a red/green light on metal wall texture (named SW1MET2 on PC).
- The heights of nukage pits throughout the level are reduced.
- The "entrance door" at the start of the level is removed.
- Zero-height sectors are added around the red skull key room, allowing the room to be taller than 256 units without distorting the outer wall textures. The narrow path leading to the red key was widened to accommodate the player's increased radius.
- Two demonic face textures are removed from the north wall of the central nukage pit.
- The octagonal step around the blue skull key has been removed. The remaining square step is larger and its textures scroll right instead of left.
- The hidden passage south of the blue key room is not flagged as secret.
- Walking up the south staircase in the western room (with the yellow skull key) causes a door to open behind you and reveal a soulsphere. In the PC version of this level, walking through this door causes a switch to rise from the floor at the top of the staircase; in the console version, a door in the north wall at the top of the staircase opens instead to reveal the switch.
- There are four yellow skull pillars opposite the yellow door instead of five.
- The archways over the corridor past the yellow skull pillars have flat ceilings rather than being stepped.
- Pain elementals and Hell knights are replaced with cacodemons.
- Arachnotrons are replaced with chaingunners - two each on Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra Violence, and one each on I am a Wimp (even though the arachnotrons do not appear on the easiest skill levels).
- The caged revenant in the northern-most area is replaced with a cacodemon, while the revenant guarding the blue key is replaced with four imps.
- The caged arch-vile in the north-western room is replaced with a cacodemon, which is translucent due to a mapping error (see Bugs).
- The red and blue keycards are changed to skull keys.
Areas / screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Sony PlayStation||"Corrupted Core"||Aubrey Hodges||See PlayStation Doom music.|
|Sega Saturn||"Beyond Fear"||Aubrey Hodges||See Saturn Doom music.|
This level contains seven spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 398)
- facing east. (thing 399)
- facing north. (thing 400)
- facing east. (thing 401)
- facing east. (thing 402)
- facing east. (thing 403)
- facing west. (thing 404)