MAP46: The Courtyard (PlayStation Doom)
|Console level navigator|
MAP46: The Courtyard is the forty-sixth level of PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of Doom, and the sixteenth level of the Doom II episode. It is based on the original MAP18: The Courtyard with modifications made to adapt to the consoles' limitations. The author of the original map is Sandy Petersen.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
You start the level entrapped in a room with an exit door to the left, which cannot be opened now, and a gargoyle panel in front of you. To get out, shoot this panel with any impact weapon or punch it with the fist. Behind is a zombieman and a pack of imps (the number depends on the skill level). In addition, you can get a shotgun on a dais and collect lots of shells. Enter the marble building and then into a large courtyard.
Once you enter the courtyard, the yellow skull key is put at the north eastern corner of the courtyard, in the space between two buildings.
With the yellow key climb on the wooden staircase of the northern building in the courtyard. To the right of you is a marble structure. Go around it, and you will see the yellow door behind. Open it and use the teleporter. It will send you to the large room, and you will be surrounded by cacodemons and spectres (UV only). Knock them off. Your objective is to find the blue skull key among the health bonuses. Once found, you also need to find the gargoyle switch on one of the four pillars (south western pillar). This will build the staircase leading to a teleporter. Use this to get back to the room behind the yellow door.
Head back to the first outside area (south) and back into the starting room where the exit is located and behind which is the exit. However, beware the hellspawn while going in the courtyard.
Other points of interest
- (sector 16)
- (sector 40)
- (sector 65)
- (sector 95)
Comparison of versions
A few changes were made to this level compared to the PC version.
- The lion switch in front of you at the start of the level is replaced with a satyr switch.
- The hidden teleporter leading to secret #1 is slightly larger to account for the player's increased radius.
- The corridors on the east side of the level contain a switch guarded by some demons, which lowers a section of wall leading to more corridors when pressed. The hallway leading to this switch is slightly longer on the console version of the level.
- The mancubus inside the wood structure in the center of the courtyard is replaced with two Hell knights on Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra-Violence skill levels, and one knight on I am a wimp skill level.
Areas / screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Sony PlayStation||"Digitized Pain"||Aubrey Hodges||See PlayStation Doom music.|
|Sega Saturn||"The Broken Ones"||Aubrey Hodges||Also heard in Level 35: The Waste Tunnels; see Saturn Doom music.|
This level contains five spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 2)
- facing west. (thing 465)
- facing east. (thing 466)
- facing north-west. (thing 467)
- facing south. (thing 468)