MAP47: The Citadel (PlayStation Doom)
|Console level navigator|
MAP47: The Citadel is the forty-seventh level of the Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of Doom, and the seventeenth level of the Doom II episode. It is based on the original MAP19: The Citadel with modifications made to adapt to the consoles' limitations. The author of the original map is Sandy Petersen.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
There are three keys but you do not have to collect them all. Collecting the red key and one other key will be sufficient to squeeze between the bars blocking the exit teleporter.
In the starting area, enter the building in front of you. Kill one or three shotgun guys. Enter the room to the right. In the room, push the skull switch. This will unlock the door to the citadel. Return to the first room and turn right. Open the door and cross the bridge. Enter the citadel.
In the citadel, go up any staircase and open the lion panel to the left. In the room push the skull switch to open two doors. You need to enter the northern door. You will be in a dark corridor. Turn right and open the lion panel. You cannot take the soulsphere yet. If you try to, you will teleported to another area (that you need now). In this area all you need to do is to shoot the cage to the left. This will raise a platform which will help you to get into the door (in case of you fall down before the platform is risen, you need to press the button on it while it is in the sunk level; use the automap to see the line in yellow; the first platform will lower and you will be able to raise the second one). Now, open the door and descend down until you can take the red skull key (taking the key also counts as secret). Fall down to the central area. Kill enemies here and collect items if you want. Take the door in the south to get back.
Back in the entrance of the citadel, open the lion panel to the west. In the room push the skull switch to open two doors. Enter the northern door. In the dark corridor go forward until you can see an opening of the citadel to the outside. Do not jump there but instead open the wall to the left. There is an armor pickup and it is counted as secret. Squeeze here and use a lift which brings you to another opening. Leap from here down to the water and to the red brick building. Ascend on the stairs and enter the entrance to the right. Beware of the slow crushing ceiling. Carefully enter the following room. In the room head into the wooden tower. Inside, push the skull to open two passageways. You need the passageway to the left. It will lead you to a dark room with five teleporters. You need the one to the far right (north east). Once you will be in a room, fight all the demons here and drop into a small shaft next to the skull button where you can take the blue skull key.
Get back to the room with five teleporters again (described above). This time, use the teleporter to the closest left (south west). In the room bump against the brick wall when climbing the stairs and it will lower. When you see an opening to the familiar room, turn left and take the yellow skull key.
Once you are ready to complete the level, head out of the citadel and head to the north side of the map. You will see a small brick building and a marble structure inside. Go around this structure and you will see three colored bars blocking your way. Open as many bars as you can and step on the water pool to finish.
Other points of interest
in the central courtyard of the citadel, go to the north-east corner to find a skull switch near the ledge with the blue key. Press this switch to lower two ledges in the north wall; the ledge nearest you holds a super shotgun and a box of shotgun shells, while the ledge further away holds two boxes of bullets.
The square marble structure in the center of the citadel contains a rocket launcher. You can get it by going to the room with five teleporters (follow the walkthrough above to find it) and stepping into the middle teleporter. Once you collect the weapon, press the skull switch to raise the floor so you can get out.
- As you gain access to the citadel, enter it. Ascend the stairs and go to the left (west) room. Push the switch to open two doors. Go to the north one, and you will be in a dark corridor. Turn left and open the lion panel to enter caged room. Destroy all imps and collect stimpacks and a partial invisibility sphere. (sector 40)
- Mandatory secret. Back in the dark corridor go forward to the north until you can see an outside opening to the left. A brick wall left of this opening can be pushed. Behind is an armor pickup and a lift. At the top is secret #3. (sector 122)
- Mandatory secret. The lift in secret #2 will send you to the passageway which counts as secret. Both secret #2 and secret #3 are mandatory and cannot be missed, as you will use these passages at least once. (sector 124)
- Mandatory secret. From the passage of secret #3, leap to the water next to the red brick building. The first step leading to the building counts as secret and cannot be missed. (sector 110)
- Once you can reach the red brick building, ascend the stairs and take the south entrance. Push the skull to the right, and you will be able to enter a room. Enter it, destroy everyone and go back to the outside. A wall with 12 zombiemen will open, and you can obtain a computer area map. (sector 120)
- In the entrance of the citadel, ascend the stairs and open the lion panel to the right (east). Push the skull to build the stairs. Ascend the stairs and push the stone wall between two lions to the left (north). Ascend the stairs again and jump over the platform in the center and over the other platform where the teleporter is. The teleporter will lead you to the otherwise unreachable soulsphere. (sector 35)
- Finding the red key counts as secret on this level (see the "Red key" section of the walkthrough). (sector 1)
- Finding the blue key counts as secret on this level (see the "Blue key" section of the walkthrough). (sector 20)
- Finding the yellow key counts as secret on this level (see the "Yellow key" section of the walkthrough). (sector 148)
- One of four medikits (thing 338) in the central courtyard of the citadel has an improper arrangement resulting in suspending in the air.
- When the wall to secret #5 lowers, its "tracks" have noticeably distorted textures due to an incorrect Y-offset.
- The lift in the blue key area (sector 8) has the same floor height as the key platform, making that lift and the switch used to access it both redundant.
- A teleporter destination (thing 105) in the south-west wing of the citadel is not set to work in the first two skill levels (I am a Wimp and Not Too Rough).
- A cacodemon (thing 253) above the switch in a wooden structure inside the red brick building on Ultra Violence skill level is stuck, as the floor is higher compared to the PC version of the level.
Comparison of versions
Several changes were made to this level compared with the PC version.
- All switches use a skull switch on metal wall texture.
- The windows on the south-western and southern outside walls of the citadel have different textures.
- A mossy wall on the north-western outside wall of the citadel was changed to match the rest of the wall.
- The marble structure in the center of the citadel is wider and has grey walls instead of faces.
- A switch that raises a floor in the gray south-eastern room by 32 units (ultimately leading to secret #6) is removed. The floor starts off already raised to the correct height.
- Some of the steps in the north-eastern room of the citadel were removed.
- The hallway you can jump from to reach the red brick building is slightly longer.
- The steps leading up to the red brick building in the north-western corner of the level have metal textures instead of stone ones.
- The vine textures on the imps' ledges in the red brick building are replaced with brick textures, and no longer scroll.
- The marble walls surrounding the level exit do not have demon faces on them.
- The lava pit signifiying the exit is changed to water.
- Arachnotrons are replaced with cacodemons.
- There are 12 zombiemen inside secret #5 instead of 16.
- There are fewer spectres guarding the area south of the exit structure.
Areas / screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Sony PlayStation||"A Calm Panic Rises"||Aubrey Hodges||Also heard in Level 32: Underhalls; see PlayStation Doom music.|
|Sega Saturn||"Sanity's Edge"||Aubrey Hodges||Also heard in Level 36: The Crusher; see Saturn Doom music.|
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 392)
- facing south. (thing 393)
- facing north-west. (thing 394)
- facing east. (thing 395)
- facing north. (thing 396)
- facing south. (thing 397)
This level contains the following numbers of things per skill level: