MAP51: Bloodfalls (PlayStation Doom)
|Console level navigator|
MAP51: Bloodfalls is the fifty-first level of the Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of Doom, and the twenty-first level of the Doom II episode. It is based on the original MAP25: Bloodfalls, with modifications made to adapt the map to the consoles' limitations. The author of the original map is Shawn Green.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
Take the super shotgun in front of you if needed and head straight forward, dropping down the shaft into a damaging blood pool. Keep going forward and walk around the blood "fountain", then press the gray wall to lower a lift. Proceed into the cave behind this platform (taking the plasma gun on the way if needed) and follow it through to its end, where you will find a teleporter. In the next area, take the blue skull key in front of you.
Kill any enemies in the blood pit below which are blocking your way and drop off the ledge. Climb up either staircase out of the pool, then approach the red-flagged wooden wall and it will open automatically. Pass through and head straight down the passage until you reach a teleporter in another blood pool, which will take you back to the starting room. Retrace your steps back to the area with the blood fountain and lower the gray platform again, but this time ride it up to the upper floor. Head south around the walkway and open the blue door in the south wall.
In the next room, head down the steps and lower the lift at the bottom, then follow the path until you reach a gray marble room with a lift at the end. Take this down to a metal room which contains two chaingunners, joined by four imps on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP) and Ultra Violence (UV) skill levels. Lower the silver wall at the opposite end of the room and ride this up to a marble outdoor area populated by imps, a varying number of Hell knights, and chaingunners on UV. Once they are dead, approach the north pillar on the east side of the room, and press the skull switch here to lower the central marble structure. Climb the steps to the teleporter here to finish the level.
Other points of interest
From the start, go straight forward down the shaft into a blood pool. Turn right here and you will see a translucent bloodfall - go through and follow the cavern behind to find a megaarmor pickup and a chaingun, plus an armor pickup on UV.
On the walkway north of the blood fountain, there is a rocket launcher in the north-east corner on HMP and UV.
From the top of the staircase in the blue key area, face north to see two platforms leading down to a megasphere. Destroy the barrels on the first platform, then run forward down the platforms to reach the powerup.
When you enter the penultimate room, turn right to see a partial invisibility powerup through a grate. Enter the open doorway next to the grate to get to it.
- After taking the blue skull key, drop down into the blood pit and walk up the stairs and through the flag door at the top. About halfway down the stairs is a wall with a black flag - open it (sector 82) and head into the small area behind to find two energy cell packs and four shotgun shells. (Alternatively, from the starting room head down the shaft in the north wall, cross the blood pool below and you will find the wall you need to open on the right.)
- After riding the lift behind the blue door, turn left and continue to hug the left wall. Use the automap to find a section of this wall which can be opened. Behind the wall is an alcove (sector 25) containing a BFG9000 on HMP or below; on UV, the alcove contains nothing at all. The alcove also holds two energy cell packs in multiplayer.
- a multiplayer rocket launcher (thing 60) behind secret #1.
- a box of shotgun shells (110) on the walkway surrounding the eastern courtyard.
- a pool of blood (118) in the same courtyard.
- three medikits (177, 178 and 179) around the fountain in the courtyard.
- a BFG9000 (180) next to the same fountain.
Comparison of versions
A number of changes were made to this level compared to the PC version.
- The blood pit north of the starting room has hanging torso textures on either side covered by grates. On consoles, these textures are shorter and covered by metal bars.
- The wall concealing secret #2 has the same texture as the surrounding walls, so it cannot be identified without using the automap.
- The water "cube" above the exit teleporter is changed to marble and has a teleporter pad on its ceiling.
- The pain elemental in the blue key area is replaced with four lost souls.
- The level's only revenant, seen on top of the fountain in the outdoor area east of the starting room on HMP and UV skill levels, is replaced with a chaingunner.
- The mancubi and arachnotron behind the blue door on HMP and UV are removed without being replaced. A number of other enemies are also removed from that room.
- The pain elementals in the penultimate room are replaced with chaingunners. Four imps are added to the room on HMP and UV.
- The arch-vile in the exit room is replaced with a meat hook decoration, which has the same thing type. Hell knights are added around the room - five on UV, four on HMP, and two on I am a Wimp (IAAW) and Not Too Rough (NTR).
- The megaarmor in the dead-end passage east of the starting room appears on all skill levels; on PC, it is flagged to only appear on HMP and below. As a result, both megaarmor and armor pickups can be found in the same spot on UV.
Areas / screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Sony PlayStation||"Mind Massacre"||Aubrey Hodges||See PlayStation Doom music.|
|Sega Saturn||"Mind Massacre"||Aubrey Hodges||See Saturn Doom music.|
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 217)
- facing south-east. (thing 218)
- facing north-west. (thing 219)
- facing north-west. (thing 220)
- facing west. (thing 222)
- facing north-west. (thing 223)