MAP54: Redemption Denied (PlayStation Doom)
|Jaguar, 3DO and GBA Doom maps|
|PlayStation and Saturn Doom maps|
|Xbox Doom maps|
MAP54: Redemption Denied is the fifty-fourth and final level of the Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of Doom, and the twenty-fourth and final map in the Doom II episode. It is exclusive to those consoles and features the spiderdemon as a boss.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Music
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 External links
- 10 Navigation
You begin in an octagonal room containing several weapons and ammunition. Walk all around the room so you grab everything, then step into the teleporter when ready.
The teleporter will take you to a large arena. Head down the steps and a marble pillar in front of you will lower, revealing a number of barons of Hell. Some of the barons will teleport to elsewhere in the arena and there are more barons in the corners, so watch your back as you fight them.
Once all the barons are dead, two walls in the north-west and north-west of the arena will lower, revealing one spiderdemon on I am a Wimp or Not Too Rough and two on Hurt Me Plenty or Ultra Violence. The spiders start facing away from you, so if they have not been alerted then use this time to collect more ammunition before waking them up. If you have a BFG9000 then use it to dispatch the spiders quickly; you can also lure them into shooting each other which will cause them to infight. Use the gray pillars around the arena for cover.
Once both spiders are dead, a wall in the south-west corner of the arena will open. Go through it to find the final teleporter, and step on to it to finish the game!
Other points of interest
There are four ledges at the edges of the arena with ammunition and teleporters. Each teleporter will send you to the next ledge in a clockwise direction (the north teleporter goes to the east ledge, for example).
There are no official secrets in this level.
Areas / screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Sony PlayStation||"Hell's Churn"||Aubrey Hodges||See PlayStation Doom music.|
|Sega Saturn||"Breath Of Horror"||Aubrey Hodges||See Saturn Doom music.|
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 75)
- facing north-west. (thing 76)
- facing north. (thing 77)
- facing south. (thing 78)
- facing north-east. (thing 79)
- facing west. (thing 106)
Inspiration and development
- This level uses the orange sky from Thy Flesh Consumed, rather than the red sky used in earlier levels set in Hell.
- The starting area is reminiscent of the starting room from Doom II's MAP30: Icon of Sin.
- As this is the last level of the game, this is the only other time the player will come across intermission text spoken by a deep, ominous voice-over. The text itself is actually an unused ending from the Atari Jaguar version of Doom, stating that "by turning the evil of the horrors of Hell in upon itself", the player has destroyed the power of the demons, stopping their invasion cold. The text then claims, sardonically, that the player can "retire to a lifetime of frivolity" and congratulates the player before the cast of monsters begins.