|Battling Bill Gates in MAP30|
Mars War is a 32 level megawad for Doom II created by Nathan Lineback. It started off as an old WAD on The Library of Trantor BBS, which eventually stopped operating. This WAD was updated and completed after the author's multiple dealings with Microsoft products.
The story starts off with the player, a lone Martian terraformer, lost in the middle of nowhere. A terraforming project has been lead by the United Organizations of Earth. The organization has threatened to take over. The recent events have prompted an invasion from Earth, but something went wrong with their ships, capable of "space-warp". Those ships were built by a company with the initials "MS".
The megawad is anti-Microsoft, the biggest clue to this being the final level, where the demonic visage of the final boss is replaced with an image of the face of Bill Gates as a Borg. The starting room of the level is also in the shape of the Internet Explorer logo. The god mode face is replaced with that of Tux, the mascot for the Linux operating system.
The full story line is not important, but here it is anyway.
It is a thousand or so years in the future and you are a Martian terraformer stuck in a small station in the middle of nowhere.
Since the beginning of the terraforming project, the United Organizations of Earth have been threatening to take control. They do not like the independence that Mars has gained and view Mars as a threat.
The United Organizations of Earth are an accumulation of all governments, large corporations, and corporate owned governments of Earth. For over a hundred years they have tightly controlled the population of earth, at an almost microscopic level limiting what they are allowed to know and what they may do.
A few months ago, a huge number of radical, highly educated people escaped UOE persecution by coming to Mars in a large space-warp capable ship they built more or less by themselves without the knowledge of the UOE.
This was the last straw for the UOE. They attempted to quickly clone the space-warp technology and sent off an invasion force.
Only something went wrong with their new "space-warp" capable ships...
- Released in 1998, this had only 29 original levels. The three others are conversions of 1994 levels due to mapper's block. They are:
- Released in early 2009, this will have only some few changes:
- New, original maps 15, 20, and 25, instead of the conversions from the previous version.
- Fixed many problems caused when jumping is enabled.
- Cooperative bugs has been fixed and the deathmatch will been improved when playing in ZDaemon or Skulltag.
- In Doomsday, all the objects using the 3d models that supposed to faced in right direction.
- Added the intermission story texts, automap names and MOD musics for ZDoom (plus their ZDoom add-ons), PrBoom or Doomsday.
- Changed the MAP30 level name.
- In MAP29, the door trap has been fixed so that it works in multiplayer.
- Music module "4mat" has been changed instruments to make them less annoying.
- Some other minor fixes.
- MAP01: Terraforming Station
- MAP02: Theta Base
- MAP03: Manufacturing Plant
- MAP04: Alpha Base
- MAP05: Crash Sight
- MAP06: Beta Base
- MAP07: Infestation
- MAP08: Bunker Zero
- MAP09: Death Management
- MAP10: Transport Ship
- MAP11: Drop Ship
- MAP12: Operations - Earth
- MAP13: Warehouse
- MAP14: Civilian Center
- MAP15: The Fringes
- MAP16: Enlightenment
- MAP17: Commercial Sector
- MAP18: The Edge
- MAP19: Foundation
- MAP20: Land of the Lame
- MAP21: Highway to Hell
- MAP22: Xerox
- MAP23: The Gates of Hell
- MAP24: 83' E
- MAP25: 1984
- MAP26: Maximum Security
- MAP27: Marketing
- MAP28: Doom User Interface
- MAP29: Choices
- MAP30: Icon of Sin (formerly Heart of Evil)
- MAP31: Wolf 3D
- MAP32: Hell Labs