|Battling Bill Gates in MAP30|
Mars War is a 32 level megawad for Doom II created by Nathan Lineback. It started off as an old WAD on The Library of Trantor BBS, which eventually stopped operating. This WAD was updated and completed after the author's multiple negative experiences with Microsoft products.
The story starts off with the player, a lone Martian terraformer, lost in the middle of nowhere. The United Organizations of Earth have lead a terraforming project, and are threatening to take over the planet. Recent events have prompted an invasion from Earth, but something went wrong with their ships, which possess "space-warp" capabilities. Those ships were built by a company with the initials "MS".
The megawad is anti-Microsoft, the biggest clue to this being the final level, where the demonic visage of the final boss is replaced with an image of the face of Bill Gates as a Borg. The starting room of the level is also in the shape of the Internet Explorer logo. The god mode face is replaced with that of Tux, the mascot of the Linux operating system.
From the text file:
The full story line is not important, but here it is anyway.
It is a thousand or so years in the future and you are a Martian terraformer stuck in a small station in the middle of nowhere.
Since the beginning of the terraforming project, the United Organizations of Earth have been threatening to take control. They do not like the independence that Mars has gained and view Mars as a threat.
The United Organizations of Earth are an accumulation of all governments, large corporations, and corporate owned governments of Earth. For over a hundred years they have tightly controlled the population of earth, at an almost microscopic level limiting what they are allowed to know and what they may do.
A few months ago, a huge number of radical, highly educated people escaped UOE persecution by coming to Mars in a large space-warp capable ship they built more or less by themselves without the knowledge of the UOE.
This was the last straw for the UOE. They attempted to quickly clone the space-warp technology and sent off an invasion force.
Only something went wrong with their new "space-warp" capable ships...
- Released in 1998, this has only 29 original levels. The three others are conversions of other authors' levels due to mapper's block. They are:
- Released in early 2009, this version has some changes:
- MAP15, MAP20 and MAP25 have been replaced with brand new maps rather than conversions of existing ones.
- Fixed many bugs and exploits as a result of jumping being implemented in some source ports.
- Cooperative bugs have been fixed and deathmatch is improved when playing with ZDaemon or Skulltag.
- In Doomsday, some objects now face the proper direction when 3d models are being used.
- Added the intermission story texts, automap names and MOD music for ZDoom-based ports, PrBoom or Doomsday.
- Changed the MAP30 level name.
- In MAP29, the door trap has been fixed so that it works in multiplayer.
- MAP02's MOD music in compatible source ports has been edited, supposedly to make the instruments less annoying
- Some other minor fixes.
- MAP01: Terraforming Station
- MAP02: Theta Base
- MAP03: Manufacturing Plant
- MAP04: Alpha Base
- MAP05: Crash Sight
- MAP06: Beta Base
- MAP07: Infestation
- MAP08: Bunker Zero
- MAP09: Death Management
- MAP10: Transport Ship
- MAP11: Drop Ship
- MAP12: Operations - Earth
- MAP13: Warehouse
- MAP14: Civilian Center
- MAP15: The Fringes
- MAP16: Enlightenment
- MAP17: Commercial Sector
- MAP18: The Edge
- MAP19: Foundation
- MAP20: Land of the Lame
- MAP21: Highway to Hell
- MAP22: Xerox
- MAP23: The Gates of Hell
- MAP24: 83' E
- MAP25: 1984
- MAP26: Maximum Security
- MAP27: Marketing
- MAP28: Doom User Interface
- MAP29: Choices
- MAP30: Icon of Sin (formerly Heart of Evil)
- MAP31: Wolf 3D
- MAP32: Hell Labs