Masters of Doom
Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture is a book by David Kushner about id Software and its influence on popular culture, focusing chiefly on John Romero and John Carmack. Adopting a novel-like narrative, Kushner chronicles the lives of both men from childhood through the early successes of id Software, the new heights the company reached with Doom, on through to their separation as developers after Quake. Kushner was an early entrant into the field of video-game journalism, and recycled some of his own original reporting in the book.
A TV pilot adaptation for USA Network was in production during 2019 and 2020. As of April 2021, USA Network had not picked up the pilot to order the planned anthology series.
|Edition||Publisher||Date||Pages||Dewey Decimal||ISBN-10||ISBN-13||LOC Classification||LCCN||Open Library ID|
|Hardcover (1st Ed)||Random House||6 May 2003||352||794.8/092/2, B||ISBN 0375505245||ISBN 978-0375505249||GV1469.15 .K87 2003||OL3561326M|
|Paperback||Random House||24 Apr 2003||335||ISBN 1588362892||ISBN 978-1588362896||-||-||OL24264538M|
|Reprint, Paperback||Piatkus Books||30 Oct 2003||352||ISBN 0749924756||ISBN 978-0749924751||-||-||OL7970019M|
|Reprint, Paperback||Random House||11 May 2004||368||ISBN 0812972155||ISBN 978-0812972153||-||-||OL8021008M|
|Turtleback||Demco||29 Sep 2004||ISBN 0606313451||ISBN 978-0606314352||-||-||OL10943886M|
|Language||Title||Co-author(s) / translation||Publisher||Year||ISBN|
|Hungarian||A Doom legendája: Hogyan változtatta meg John Carmack és John Romero a világot - I. A kezdet||Gergő Szalay||Kaposvári Nyomda Kft.||2003|
|Hungarian||A Doom legendája: Hogyan változtatta meg John Carmack és John Romero a világot - II. Külön utakon||Gergő Szalay||Kaposvári Nyomda Kft.||2003|
|Italian||Masters of Doom: Ovvero come due ragazzi hanno creato un impero e trasformato la cultura pop||Salvatore Cutaia (ed) and Fabio Cristi||multiplayer.it||2009||ISBN 978-8889164198|
|Polish||Masters of Doom. O dwóch takich, co stworzyli imperium i zmienili popkulturę.||Open Beta||2020||ISBN 978-8394162535|
|Russian||Властелины Doom: Как двое парней создали игровую индустрию и воспитали целое поколение геймеров||Olga Terentjeva||Mann, Ivanov i Ferber||2014||ISBN 978-5000573723|
|Russian||Повелители DOOM. Как два парня создали культовый шутер и раскачали индустрию видеоигр||Mikhail Bocharov, Alexey Matveev, Pavel Ruchkin, Vladimir Sechkarev||Bombora||2020||ISBN 978-5041065461|
|Spanish||Maestros del Doom: Cómo dos colegas crearon un imperio y transformaron la cultura popular||Óscar Palmer Yáñez||Es Pop Ediciones||2018||ISBN 978-8494458750|
An authorized Hungarian translation was produced in two volumes, entitled A Doom legendája: Hogyan változtatta meg John Carmack és John Romero a világot (English: Legend of Doom: How John Carmack and John Romero changed the world). An authorized Spanish translation entitled Maestros del Doom: Cómo dos colegas crearon un imperio y transformaron la cultura popular was created by Es Pop Ediciones in April 2018.
A full unabridged audio book edition was produced in 2012 by AudioBooks.com. Narrated by actor Wil Wheaton, the recording has a total duration of 12 hours and 43 minutes.
While Doom (film) was still in production, on April 13, 2005 it was announced Showtime Networks was working with executive producer Naren Shankar to develop a feature film based on Masters of Doom. After the project fell through, in a June 14, 2018 interview David Kushner stated, "right now there are people interested into turning this into a TV show."
In June 2019 USA Network ordered a TV pilot for an anthology series with James and Dave Franco included among its executive producers. On September 26, 2019, Rhys Thomas (Saturday Night Live, Documentary Now!) was named as director with actors Eduardo Franco (Booksmart) and Patrick Gibson (The OA) named to star respectively as John Romero and John Carmark. By February 2020 the pilot was in post-production.
An April 2021 post on Twitter by actor Rahul Kohli (iZombie, The Haunting of Bly Manor) suggested the completed pilot was not picked up by USA Network, making it unlikely to ever air.
- Home site of David Kushner.
- Masters of Doom page by the publishers.
- Rare Bill Gates Doom video, mentioned in the Judgement Day chapter of the book
- Masters of Doom on Amazon (Hardcover)
- Masters of Doom on Amazon (Paperback)
- Audio book edition
- This article incorporates text from the open-content Wikipedia online encyclopedia article Masters of Doom.
- Denise Martin (13 April 2005). "Showtime’s ‘Doom’ day." Variety. Retrieved 15 August 2020.
- Martine Paris (15 June 2018). "Hi all, here’s the video - 'Right now there are people interested in turning this into a TV show - Masters of Doom - but you know Hollywood, we’ll see what happens' :D." Twitter. Retrieved 15 August 2020.
- Joe Otterson (27 June 2019). "‘Masters of Doom’ Series Produced by Franco Brothers Lands USA Network Pilot Order." Variety. Retrieved 15 August 2020.
- Will Thorne (26 September 2019). "‘Masters of Doom’ Pilot at USA Network Sets Cast, Director." Variety. Retrieved 15 August 2020.
- Joe Otterson (6 February 2020). "Gotham Group Sets First-Look Deal With Fox 21 Television Studios." Variety. Retrieved 15 August 2020.
- Rahul Kohli (21 April 2021). "I just watched the pilot for Masters of Doom, which tells the story of how DOOM came to be... and there's a chance none of you will ever get to see it. It was one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen." Twitter. Retrieved 22 April 2021.