Necropolis (Doom 2016)
The Necropolis is the eleventh level of Doom (2016), the third area of Hell visited by the Doom marine in his quest for the Crucible. The Crucible is also the name of the mission that takes place in this level.
The Necropolis was explored along with the Titan's Realm as part of the 2148 expedition to the Great Steppe. Massive structures were found in this area which were believed to be native to the area before it had been absorbed into Hell. The architecture was found to resemble Earthly schools of design as well as several unknown styles, hypothesized to be extra-terrestrial in origin. Many of the structures were religious or spiritual in nature, but have been corrupted to serve as temples for the dark magic of Hell.
The expedition to this area was again met with extreme violence and resulted in the loss of all human life, but UAC Scout-Bots were able to return valuable information. In addition, it was here that the remains of the ancient Baalgar shadow lord were discovered, which later became the cyberdemon.
Mission 11: The Crucible
Having battled through the Titan's Realm, the Doom marine now finds himself in a giant necropolis. After acquiring two skull keys and fighting his way to the dormant Icon of Sin, the marine is teleported to an arena with Hell guards who are tasked with protecting the Crucible's tomb. After destroying all three guards the marine acquires the Crucible and is greeted by a group of Night Sentinel spirits before being pulled back to Mars via the dimensional tether.
- Reclaim the Crucible
- Reclaim the Crucible from its tomb
- A Pin Pops a Balloon
- Kill a mancubus with the pistol.
- Rapid fire from the pistol to a mancubus' head should be enough to kill it once it is staggered.
- Two Mouths to Feed
- Kill two cacodemons with one shot.
- The second skull switch of the level will summon two cacodemons when pressed; you can then kill them with a BFG shot or the Gauss cannon's Siege Mode mod.
- Wait For It
- Kill ten demons with explosive barrels.
- The Unwilling in the yellow key area are the best monsters to try this on, but as the challenge title implies you will have to patiently lure them towards barrels to complete this challenge successfully. You and monsters can push barrels around by walking into them; purchasing the "Barrels o' Fun" perk to make yourself immune to barrel explosions is recommended.
|Combat support drones||1|
Areas / screenshots
Inspiration and development
According to designer Jason O'Connell, this level and the Titan's Realm were originally one map, with the teleporter found at the end of Titan's Realm instead being an elevator that took the player into the starting room of this level.
- The arena holding the blue key is styled after Doom II's MAP07: Dead Simple, and the first monsters that appear here are mancubi which spawn on the square platforms.
- O'Connell, Jason (5 December 2022). "Doom Nugget: Titans Realm and The Necropolis were originally one map. The teleporter at the end of Titans Realm used to be a doorway that would've taken you right into the elevator room at the beginning of Necropolis." Twitter. Retrieved 6 December 2022.
|Levels from Doom (2016)|
|Single player:||Site 03 • Resource Operations • Foundry • Argent Facility • Argent Energy Tower • Kadingir Sanctum • Argent Facility (Destroyed) • Advanced Research Complex • Lazarus Labs • Titan's Realm • Necropolis • VEGA Central Processing • Argent D'Nur|
|Multiplayer:||Argent Breach • Beneath • Boneyard • Cataclysm • Chasm • Disposal • Empyrian • Excavation • Heatwave • Helix • Infernal • Molten • Offering • Orbital • Outbreak • Perdition • Ritual • Sacrilegious|
|Classic levels:||Hangar • Nuclear Plant • Toxin Refinery • Command Control • Phobos Lab • Phobos Anomaly • Halls of the Damned • Tower of Babel • Slough of Despair • Pandemonium • House of Pain • Entryway • Underhalls|
|Rune trials:||Rune trial arena • Rune trial passage • Rune trial temple|