|Developer(s)||Sean Leonard (Dr_Sean), Mike Wood (Hyper_Eye), Mike Lightner (Mancubus_II), Alex Mayfield (AlexMax)|
|Non-Developer(s)||Ralph Vickers (Ralphis)|
|Initial release||0.1a (2007-01-22, 10 years ago)|
|Latest release||0.7.0 (2014-03-27, 2 years ago)|
|Available in||English (United States)|
|License||GNU General Public License v2|
|IRC Channel||OFTC #odamex|
The following features are supported.
- The traditional old-school style of Deathmatch and a Cooperative mode, but also other game modes such as Teamplay and Capture the Flag
- An array of editing features, including the Hexen map format, DeHackEd and BEX patch support and ACS up to ZDoom 1.23
- Several additional music formats, such as MOD and OGG
- A 32-bit true color renderer
Odamex uses a client/server based architecture inherited from csDoom and improved upon in many ways, utilizing things such as a network compression among others. Odamex is also the only GNU/GPL licensed true client/server port available.
The included launcher is specifically designed for Odamex and is built with wxWidgets. It allows the user to receive a list of running Odamex servers from the master servers (Odamex utilizes more than one master), and lets them join a game simply by selecting the server on which they wish to play. In addition to the main launcher there is also another launcher built with SDL and Agar called "ag-odalaunch." ag-odalaunch was made for the Xbox port to have a launcher but can be compiled on other operating systems where SDL and Agar are available as well.
Odamex's first official version, 0.1a, was released on January 19, 2007. However, the project had been unofficially in development since 2005, when the first build of Odamex's precursor titled Zwango was built.
In May 2012 Odamex was chosen to be the de facto port for the International Doom League, solidifying the port's relevance in the multiplayer Doom community. Players started using Odamex officially for the summer 2012 season. This continued until May 2014.
The Odamex team
- Mike Lightner (Mancubus_II) - Master Server Maintainer, Project Lead, Website Maintainer
- Sean Leonard (Dr_Sean) - Lead Programmer
- Mike Wood (Hyper_Eye) - Programmer
- Ralph Vickers (Ralphis) - Forum Administrator, IRC Channel Operator, Project Lead, Wiki Administrator
- Alex Mayfield (AlexMax) - Programmer
- Ladna - Programmer
- Chris Laverdure (Dashiva) - Programmer
- Dean Joseph (deathz0r) - Forum Administrator, IRC Channel Operator, Programmer, Project Lead, Wiki Administrator
- Denis Lukianov (Voxel) - Lead Programmer, Odamex.org Maintainer
- Dylan McIntosh (Toke) - Programmer
- GhostlyDeath - Programmer
- James Dunne - Contributed the code for the 32-bit renderer
- Joe Kennedy - Programmer
- John Corrado (anarkavre) - Programmer
- Nes - Programmer
- Roy Duncan (destx) - Media Designer
- Russell Rice - Programmer, Wiki Maintainer
- Spleen - Programmer
- NullPoint - Programmer
- Stephen McGranahan (SoM) - Programmer
- "Announcing this year’s QuakeCon 2013 tournaments". QuakeCon.org. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
- "QuakeCon 2013 20th Anniversary Doom Challenge Rules" (PDF). QuakeCon.org. Retrieved July 22, 2013.
|Source code genealogy|