|Outdoors area in the center.|
|This mod was one of the ten 2000 mods to feature in the Top 100 WADs of All Time on Doomworld!|
|1994 - 1995 - 1996 - 1997 - 1998|
1999 - 2000 - 2001 - 2002 - 2003
This level occupies the map slot MAP01. For other maps which occupy this slot, see Category:MAP01.
Painful Evil was chosen as one of the entries for 2000 in the Top 100 WADs of All Time.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Letters in italics refer to marked spots on the map. Sector, thing, and linedef numbers in boldface are secrets which count toward the end-of-level tally.
Other points of interest
- Once you have the blue key, enter the room southeast of the central blood pit. Use the skull switch there to raise the bridge, then open the blue banner and use the switch behind it if you have not done so already. After crossing the bridge, head up the steps and turn left. In the next room, head south past the berserk pack to drop behind the blue bars. Take the large set of steps up, then head south and look east towards the health bonus. Press on the wall with a light on it to find a megasphere. (sector 81)
- In the central area with the damaging blood pit, head up the steps south from the blue bars and if you have the blue key, open the blue banner and use the switch. This will open the door behind the blue bars. Get over there by getting into the adjacent room from the switch and using the skull switch there to raise the bridge, then opening the blue banner and using the switch behind it if you have not done so already. After crossing the bridge, head up the steps and turn left. In the next room, head south past the berserk pack and you will be near the open door. Entering this room lowers a lift to the side, revealing a teleporter back to the other side of the blood pit. Press the switch near that lift to open a teleporter in the room southeast of the blood pit. Head over there and enter the teleporter, then turn left and open the wall where the candle is to get a blur artifact. (sector 235)
- After using the red switch to open up the northeastern hall, enter that hall and go northeast until you reach a teleporter. Taking it takes you to the west side of the map. Climb the steps until you reach the outside terrace, then look towards the face at the west wall. Make a jump through that face to reach a BFG9000. (sector 708)
- Come back to the terrace mentioned in secret #3. This time, use the switch, which will lower the bars in the northeastern hallway going towards the exit. Past those bars, as you head up the steps, look at the faces on the wall and press on the lion face to get a blur artifact. (sector 562)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The data was last verified in its entirety on June 1, 2022.
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 116)
- facing east. (thing 117)
- facing west. (thing 118)
- facing west. (thing 119)