Pistol (Doom 2016)
The UAC EMG sidearm, also simply known as the pistol, is a weapon in the 2016 Doom. It is a rough equivalent of the pistol from previous Doom games, but differs from them significantly. It is a small directed energy weapon based on plasma gel - called energy-matter-gel. Four megawatts of Argent energy are compressed into a kinetic slug. The weapon can be upgraded to allow it to be charged for a more powerful shot. It cannot acquire weapon modifications, however. It has an unlimited ammunition supply thanks to a gravitational dynamo which is charged by the wielder's movements. It is a standard issue weapon for all UAC Tier 2 adherents.
The pistol is the weakest weapon in the game and is intended for emergency use as a backup sidearm. It is not of much use beyond taking out possessed, as even imps take too many shots for it to be effective if under combat pressure, such as during an arena battle. It can be used selectively to pick off already seriously wounded enemies, however, particularly ones who are staggering with critical health but in a situation where the player does not have the time or space to perform a glory kill. It has a faster achieveable rate of fire than the original Doom pistol, which makes EMG fare a bit better in fights that feature stronger enemies than possessed (compared to the original pistol when it was used against enemies stronger than former humans, which was a risky tactic at best).
- Charge Efficiency
- Decreases charge time for a charged shot.
- Cost: 1 weapon point
- Quick Recovery
- Decreases the cool-down time required after a charged shot.
- Cost: 3 weapon points
- Light Weight
- Enables faster movement while charging.
- Cost: 5 weapon points
- Mastery - Increased Power
- Charged shots do more damage.
- The pistol's energy-based nature, infinite ammo supply, and status as the lowest tier weapon all make it similar to and likely inspired by the blasters of the Quake series of games.
- The pistol has the text "LFG Mk.2" written on the side of its barrel. It is likely that this stands for "little fucking gun," after the manner of "BFG."
- The pistol also has two kanji or hanzi on the side above the trigger, but their intended meaning is unclear due to lack of adherence to standard usage in either of the Japanese or Chinese languages.
- The pistol was originally to be included in multiplayer, as was shown in one of the preview trailers, but it did not show up in the final release. The EMG Mark V pistol subsequently took its place once Unto the Evil was released.
- Bethesda Softworks (21 March 2016). "DOOM – Multiplayer Modes Revealed." YouTube. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
|Weapons from Doom (2016)|
|Single player:||BFG-9000 • Chaingun • Chainsaw • Combat shotgun • Gauss cannon • Heavy assault rifle • Pistol • Plasma rifle • Rocket launcher • Super shotgun|
|Side arms:||Frag grenade • Siphon grenade|
|Multiplayer:||Burst rifle • EMG Mark V pistol • Grenade launcher • Hellshot • Lightning gun • Reaper • Static cannon • Vortex rifle|
|Multiplayer side arms:||Kinetic mine • Tesla rocket|
|SnapMap:||Demon control grenade • Fist|
|Progression:||Weapon modification • Weapon upgrade|