|Add a screenshot and caption|
|Author||Sverre Andre Kvernmo|
|This mod received one of the 21st Annual Cacowards on Doomworld!|
Plasmaplant is a single level for ZDoom created by Sverre Kvernmo. It was the first map released by Kvernmo since the release of Eternal Doom seventeen years prior. The majority of the map focusses on a visual theme dominated by the colour blue, and heavy lighting contrast. It contains no new music, though the textfile mentions some recommendations, including "Organic Gods" by Mark Klem from Memento Mori II, and even playing with no music at all.
Plasmaplant started out as a map for Kvernmo's Cabal series, where the only weapons available to the player were the pistol and the plasma rifle, but an actual map was never made, remaining as a paper sketch for eighteen years. Mid 2013, Kvernmo began to build a map based on the sketch, preserving the envisioned architecture and main gameplay themes, although the two-weapon concept was dropped. The first beta was released on 31 October, 2013, and the final version was released on 22 December, 2013. Reception of the WAD was generally positive, with many praising the visual style and map design, though the use of stealth monsters was often criticised.
Almost a year following its release, Plasmaplant received one of the 21st Annual Cacowards.
Other points of interest
- Where the first imp is, go through the dark passage and grab the energy cells. There will be a chaingun at the end if you are playing on Hey, Not Too Rough or lower. (sector 2896)
- At the northwest end of the main blue area, open the yellow door and proceed down the hall to the west until you reach the yellow skulls. From there, turn north and walk through the wall. In this secret passage, you can find a green armor, health, and ammo at the end. (sector 3813)
- At the southmost end of the blue area, near the switch with bars in front of it, you can go through the wall to the right of the switch, finding some ammo. (sector 4348)
- After getting the red key, enter the water at the northern part of the map and then go to the southeast corner. Walk through the wall with the candle on it, then open the east wall to discover a hidden cave. Inside is a green armor, a medikit, and some ammo. (sector 5272)
- Once you get the blue key, return to the curvy blue area and head to the southeast, where the arch-vile in the fire is located. To the left of that, there are two walls with gargoyle faces on them, one requiring the blue key and the other requiring the red key. Open the left one, which requires the blue key, and the walls will lower, revealing supplies according to your skill level. On Hey, Not Too Rough or lower, you can find a green armor and three medikits. On Hurt Me Plenty, there will be a green armor along with energy cells and an energy cell pack, and on Ultra-Violence or higher, you will find a BFG9000, two boxes of ammo, and an energy cell pack. (sector 6191)
Areas / screenshots