The protagonist is the main character in a story. In a game, it is the player's character.
- Doom's protagonist is left nameless in all installments of the core Doom franchise. In Doom 3, the main campaign, Resurrection of Evil, and The Lost Mission all feature separate protagonists; whereas it is implied the same marine went through Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom.
Several mods give an identity to the player character. A few notable examples:
- Icarus: Alien Vanguard and Daedalus: Alien Defense: Dave Razor, Space Marine, named by contest (archived 🏛).
- Mordeth: Norman Ash, who got trapped in Hell after severing the invasion portal from the wrong side.
- Corvus is the name of the player character given in Heretic II; who is said to be the vanquisher of D'Sparil.
- Strifeguy is said to be a mercenary.
- Chex Quest's protagonist is named Fred Chexter and often referred to as the Chex Warrior.
- Hacx features Danny Evanger, a hacker and ex-convict.
- Harmony is named after the player's character.
- Player for the technical aspect.