The protagonist is the main character in a story. In a game, it is the player's character.
Doom's protagonist is left nameless in all installments of the core Doom franchise. In Doom 3, the main campaign, Resurrection of Evil, and The Lost Mission all feature separate protagonists; whereas it is implied the same marine went through Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom.
The 2016 Doom and its sequel Doom Eternal both share a protagonist named the "Doom Slayer" by the demons. It is presently left ambiguous whether or not he has any relationship to the original games' protagonist, with titles external to the series such as Quake Champions suggesting it much more heavily than the other currently existing games.
Several mods give an identity to the player character. A few notable examples:
- Icarus: Alien Vanguard and Daedalus: Alien Defense: Dave Razor, Space Marine, named by contest (archived 🏛).
- Mordeth: Norman Ash, who got trapped in Hell after severing the invasion portal from the wrong side.
- Corvus is the name of the player character given in Heretic II; who is said to be the vanquisher of D'Sparil.
- Strifeguy is said to be a mercenary.
- Chex Quest's protagonist is named Fred Chexter and often referred to as the Chex Warrior.
- Hacx features Danny Evanger, a hacker and ex-convict.
- Harmony is named after the player's character.
- Player for the technical aspect.