|Author||Revae et al.|
|Port||Vanilla Ultimate Doom|
|This mod received one of the 2018 Cacowards on Doomworld!|
REKKR is a 4-episode total conversion, created by Matthew Little (Revae), with a full soundtrack created by Tom Jensen (HexenMapper), sound effects provided by TerminusEst13, additional textures by Chris Kassap (lupinx-Kassman), and additional mapping by Angry Saint, Brayden Hart (AD_79), Bzzrak Ktazzz, Chris Kassap, James Paddock (Jimmy), Jaws in Space, SuperCupcakeTactics, TerminusEst13, and Velcrosasquatch. The mod is distributed as both a PWAD for Ultimate Doom (or Freedoom, since all content is replaced it does not matter which one) and a stand-alone IWAD version.
Announced in September 2016, the mod was first released on July 10, 2018 and received its last update (v1.16) on June 15, 2019. On September 22, 2020, REKKR became the first TC to join the lineup of official add-ons for the 2019 re-release of Doom.
- 1 Story
- 2 Content
- 3 External links
You're a rekkr, a viking warrior. Your kingdom is at war against a superior foe. As you return home after a failed expedition, your ship gets wrecked some distance from the shore. As you swim, you notice something is wrong: has the enemy come here while you were away? Except it doesn't look like it's occupied by a human army...
The rest is told as you go through the levels, and in the text screens at the end of the first three episodes. (The fourth episode consists of bonus levels and is not part of the story.)
- Axe (chainsaw slot)
- Soul bow (pistol slot)
- Steel-shot launcher (shotgun slot, tech column replacement)
- Soul gun (chaingun slot, dead imp replacement)
- Runic staff (rocket launcher slot)
- Holy relic (plasma rifle slot)
- Blessing of the Gods (BFG 9000 slot)
- Giant disembodied eyeballs. They attack by charging, but they can also resurrect slain monsters all day long. (Lost soul replacement)
- Former humans
- Emaciated zombies wearing not much more than a loincloth and a spiky helmet. They drop soul ammo when killed, but the item vanishes does not linger on the mortal plane for long. (Zombieman replacement)
- Former human grotesques
- Bloated carcasses where the face was replaced by an enormous maw, from which they belch fire. (Wolfenstein SS replacement)
- Health mimic
- Masquerading as health potions, these small monsters wait in ambush for wounded people to come in range of their sharp, serrated teeth. (Commander Keen replacement)
- Malformed gray humanoids, with spikes for harms and hooved feet. (Demon replacement)
- Mean husks
- Just like the husks, but with twice as many hit points. (Spectre replacement)
- Big jawless floating heads, which carry orbs of fire below them, which they can shoot. (Imp replacement)
- Mean imps
- Just like the imps, but much tougher with over twice as many hit points. (Revenant replacement)
- Mean jackalopes
- They're fluffy pink jackalopes, but don't try to pet them: they're rabid and want to nibble you to death. They do not drop health essence, either. (Arachnotron replacement)
- Turrets made out of bones and magically enchanted to shoot fireballs at you. They do not move but they shoot relentlessly. (Arch-vile replacement)
- More robustly-built versions of the skeleturrets. (Chaingun replacement)
- Former dukes
- They had high office back when they were still human, now they rule over monsters. (Mancubus replacement)
- Large floating heads with two stubby arms. They shoot homing projectiles. (Cacodemon replacement)
- Tree beast
- They look just like dead trees, but they're actually weird mutant beasts which can spit green balefire snakes. (Baron of Hell replacement)
- Skelly bellies
- Plus-sized skeletons, they summon giant eyeballs to throw at you with abandon. (Hell knight replacement)
- Gigantic floating skull spiders with a giant eye in their abdomen, which they release upon death. (Hanging body with no gut replacement)
- Former king
- This used to be your liege. Not anymore. (Chaingunner replacement)
- Death raven
- Lord of the Underworld, ruler of the damned. Your enemy. (Cyberdemon replacement)
- Eye spawner
- One of the giant eyeballs, impaled on a spike. Summons eyeballs endlessly. Utterly indestructible. (Dead lost soul replacement)
- Harmless antlered bunnies, when killed they drop health essence which restores 10 points of health. (Shotgun guy replacement)
- Harmless friendly puppies, trapped in this monster-infested world. If you free them, they follow you around until you lead them to safety. In doing so, you can find useful items. (Evil eye symbol replacement)
DeHackEd is also used to create many other special effects, such as crashing ocean waves, leaves blown by the wind, crows taking flight when they see you, and so on.
Unless otherwise stated, all levels are by Revae.
Episode 1: Homecoming
Episode 2: Downfall
Episode 3: Otherworld
Episode 4: Bonus
All music by HexenMapper.
The wad contains two different D_INTER lumps. The first one, lasting less than 9 seconds, is never heard in-game since it is superseded by the latter one, and it does not have a known title.