|License||GNU General Public License v2+|
Russian Doom is source port forked from Chocolate Doom (with additions from Crispy Doom) by Julian Nechaevsky which aims to provide a full and proper Russian translation of Doom, Heretic and Hexen games, as well as the setup executable and online help. Additionally it has numerous vanilla bug fixes, enhanced 640x400 display resolution, improved game palettes, removed limits and offers many optional aesthetic game enhancements.
The following games are supported.
- Doom (Shareware, commercial, The Ultimate Doom)
- Doom II
- Final Doom
- Heretic (shareware beta, shareware, commercial, Shadow of the Serpent Riders)
- Hexen (shareware, commercial, Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel)
The engine automatically loads Russian-translated resources depending on the game you are playing. However, due to port specifics and language differences, it is recommended to only play the original game series.
All enhancements are optional and may be disabled to get the completely original feeling of the DOS version. It can be done in the ex-compatibility section of the Setup executable and all of them are available only for Doom.
- Menu elements and texts are dropping shadow
- No prompt on quick saving and loading
- Show disk icon
- Colored blood and squished corpses
- Randomly flipped monster death sprites and corpses
- Correct formula of "Ouch face"
- Invulnerability affects sky
- Swirling liquids
- Diabolical-red flash of monsters resurrection in Nightmare skill level
- Super Shotgun has a chance to blast enemies
- Very low-key transparency
- No yellow flash on picking up items (disabled by default)
- Sound of crushing corpses
- Single sound of fast closing doors
- Option for disabling sound on exiting the game
- Displaying of negative health
- Notification of discovered secrets
- Total level times on intermission screen
- Pain Elemental without Lost Soul's attack limit
Windows version is compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7/8.1/10 (both x32 and x64 editions).