|Add a screenshot and caption|
SIGIL II is a currently in-progress sequel to SIGIL by John Romero and Romero Games. It was announced through a video interview with Bridgeburner56 which premiered through the Realms Deep online indie games convention on August 15, 2021. It will be a Doom episode, and currently has at least one map either complete or in a stage of significant progress. As of December 8, 2022, a tentative release date has been set for December 10, 2023.
It was previously stated that Buckethead would return to contribute music, but later materials indicate that the digital OST will instead be produced by Thorr. It will also feature an alternative and bespoke MIDI soundtrack by James Paddock (Jimmy), whose MIDIs were already featured in SIGIL.
SIGIL II opened for pre-orders on November 2, 2023, through Romero's romero.com store.
Romero announced on December 8, 2022, that he would stream the building of a SIGIL II level on December 10, 2022—Doom's 29th release anniversary—at 5:00 PM Eastern time on Twitch. He also noted at this time that the episode will again consist of nine levels, and that it will be for Doom rather than Doom II (earlier use of the term megawad made this somewhat unclear).
A previously released level, "One Humanity," was released as a standalone WAD for charity on March 2, 2022. However that level was for Doom II, and Romero has since reassigned it to the "Hellion" project for Doom II.
Pre-orders for physical editions of SIGIL II opened on November 2, 2023, via Romero's romero.com store. Three separate editions were available, with the two higher limited editions selling out within an hour:
- Shotgun Shell USB Edition (€69.95)
- 3.5" floppy + Shotgun Shell USB Edition (€89.95, limited to 166 copies)
- 5.25" and 3.5" floppies + Shotgun Shell USB + shirt (€154.95, limited to 30 copies)
Shared contents of all three physical editions include the following:
- Custom SIGIL II big box
- SIGIL II cover poster (A3 size)
- Romero Games full-size cinch bag
- Sticker sheet with five stickers
- Shotgun glitter sticker
- SIGIL II disk pin
- SIGIL II "Gates of Hell" heavy superpin
- Extra code for SIGIL II WAD with music via email
- Shotgun shell USB containing:
- SIGIL II nine-level WAD file
- Making of SIGIL II video
- Making of SIGIL II story by David L. Craddock
- SIGIL II original soundtrack by Thorr
- SIGIL II original MIDI soundtrack by James Paddock (Jimmy)
- README file
- (15 August 2021). "Sigil 2 for DOOM II Revealed." Blue's News. Retrieved 16 August 2021.
- Bridgeburner (6 July 2021). "Burning Bridges With Bridgeburner – #06 John Romero on the Art of Level Design." YouTube. Retrieved 16 August 2021.
- Romero, John (8 December 2022). "For DOOM’s 29th birthday on Dec 10, I’ll be live streaming me building a new level for SIGIL II, another nine-level WAD, which will be released for DOOM’s 30th. Join me at https://twitch.tv/theromero on Dec 10 at 5 pm ET." Twitter. Retrieved 8 December 2022.
- Romero Games Ltd. (20 September 2022). "Ask Romero | Episode 3." YouTube. Retrieved 21 October 2022.
- Romero, John (2 November 2023). "SIGIL II preorders open TONIGHT at 6 p.m. GMT on http://Romero.com. All proceeds from sales of SIGIL II and SIGIL II merch support future WAD development. Thank you for playing my games." Twitter. Retrieved 2 November 2023.
- Blanco, Pedro (25 November 2023). "So... Romero just unveiled that the follow up to Sigil II will be "Hellion", a full 32 level effort 👀." Twitter. Retrieved 28 November 2023.