Strife special tags
In addition to Tag 666 and Tag 667, Strife supports numerous additional special tags which have diverse effects on any map when all monsters of a given type die and, in some cases, there is at least one player alive to claim the victory.
Tag 44 is activated when a Coupling object is collected by the player. Any sectors tagged 44 will lower their floors to the nearest surrounding floor level when this item is picked up from the map. See also tag 225 below.
Tag 222 has multiple different uses in Strife:
- Tag 222 is activated when the player receives either a "Door 1" token or a "Shop Close" token during dialogue or by killing a monster. The first token will open all tagged sectors as normal doors, while the second closes them as normal doors. The second item is not believed to be used in the stock game, but the first is given by the Oracle when speaking to him the first time, in order to reveal the nearby teleportal to MAP11: Borderlands.
- Tag 222 is activated when Spectre C is defeated. All sectors tagged 222 will open as normal doors. Spectre C is the Oracle's spectre, which is normally found in MAP12: The Temple of the Oracle. This will again reveal the teleportal to the Borderlands, which seals off just before the player chooses whether or not to battle the Oracle at that time.
Tag 223 is activated if a Prison Pass object is given to the player in dialogue or is dropped by a dying creature (which never occurs in the stock game). It will open all tagged sectors as normal doors.
Tag 224 is activated if the player is given a "Door 3" token during dialogue. All tagged sectors will close as normal doors. It is not currently known whether or not this item is used in the stock game.
Tag 225 is also activated when the player collects a Coupling object, in addition to tag 44. All sectors tagged 225 will close as normal doors if this item is picked up from the map.
Tag 999 has multiple different uses in Strife:
- Tag 999 is activated when Spectre A is defeated. All sectors tagged 999 will lower their floors to the lowest surrounding floor. Spectre A is the Programmer's spectre, which is normally found in MAP25: Catacombs: Ruined Temple.
- Tag 999 is additionally used to mark shopkeeper doors. When the player sets off the alarm in the presence of any shopkeeper, all sectors tagged 999 will close as blazing doors. The doors will reopen when the alarm deactivates.
- Tag 999 is also activated if the player causes pain to or otherwise alerts a "Becoming" Acolyte, who can be found only in alcoves on MAP27: The Lab. All tagged sectors will close as blazing doors.