Suggestion to split up
This article is reaching a critical mass and addresses too many different subject areas together (Cover art, media, paraphernalia) without sufficient prose to explain some of the items which are notable and addressable on their own (such as the main original cover art itself).
I've been planning to address this for a while but want to discuss possible plans here. I think we should split this up into the following:
- "Cover art" will stay here where it is, serving as a gallery category article for cover art in general only, with better categorization (classic Doom, Doom engine games, Doom 3 games, Doom 2016, etc).
- A specific article should be created on the Doom cover art. This will necessitate changing some of the links to this article to point at the new one instead as they are meaning to refer specifically and only to the Doom cover art and not what this gallery article has gradually morphed into.
- A separate gallery article should be created for physical media, with better categorization as well.
- Book covers could either have their own gallery article, or be merged with List of books.
- All that sounds fine to me. I agree with the person on IRC who said book covers could be thumbnails on List of books, since information about individual titles is deliberately kept to a minimum on that page with no prose. By "critical mass" do you mean server-side as well as the content itself? Ryan W (living fossil) 11:07, 19 August 2017 (CDT)
- No I think the page is served fine (at this point at least...), but definitely in terms of content, it is now covering 3 or 4 distinct subject areas and has grown to a large length, visually speaking. The lack of overarching organization makes it seem cluttered as well, something that dividing it up will allow enhancing w/o worsening the length issue. --Quasar (talk) 11:27, 19 August 2017 (CDT)