Just zdoom, or all deh -supporting ports?
ok, all this is nice, but where do I GET dehacked?
- Download link added. Janizdreg 13:34, 17 Sep 2005 (UTC)
Opening up a talk point for the following section: --Doomhack, stylized as doomhack.exe is also an umbrella moniker to describe any custom executable that applies a DeHackEd patch to the Doom executable, which is often Doom II's.--
Quasar tagged this with a citation with the following comment: --Tagging fact on initial statement as I've not heard this applied in this manner.)--
The terminology on display leaves me a bit confused:
- Doomhack is the default name DeHackEd makes when making a copy of the Doom2.exe. When a custom installer/batch file applies a dehacked patch, it (DeHackEd) creates doomhack.exe during this process, before this executable is renamed. As the section explains, some installers do not do this, leaving it to the user to rename the executable themselves in order to avoid confusion. Cyberdreams actively suggests doing this on its official site.
- The executable that is primarily targeted is Doom2.exe, version 1.9. It is possible to use Doomhack on a Doom 1 exe, but this (applying such a patch by a TC) is far more uncommon.
For reference: Enjay's section says the following on what is required: -- A full version of doom or doom2. Fortunately, the original exe can be easily downloaded as part of the Doom shareware package. This exe will work and will allow you to use dehacked with Doom or Doom2. --
- If point 1 needs to be included for clarification, then ill apply those changes.
- If point 2 needs to be inserted (Essentially providing evidence that its this particular exe that is mentioned, and not the Doom 1 executable) then one can simply redirect to the aforementioned TC's.
There is a possibility that a custom executable targets a different one, namely that of Doom 1, but as i have been progressing through the idgames archives, this has yet to be the case. Certainly not any major TC relies on it, but a single level may. If this needs to be clarified, by all means i will.
- Usenet can be a good source for ancient info. v2.0 was released on Sep 12, 1994, v2.1 on Nov 2, v2.3 on Feb 26, 1994. v1.2 predates a mention early July but that is the oldest reference I could find. So no exact dates available for any v1.x releases there. --Xymph (talk) 12:57, 6 November 2022 (CST)
- The earliest patch file, for v1.2, on the archive that Doomworld has indexed was uploaded by Greg on 6/25/94 (morfmons.zip). The "Hacking the Doom EXE file" FAQ created by Matt Fell was released 6/15/94. I think this puts the origin for v1.2 sometime in late June. I'm curious now if there actually any earlier versions than 1.2 or if it started there. I can't say I've ever personally heard of DHE 1.1 or lower myself. --Quasar (talk) 17:48, 6 November 2022 (CST)