Talk:Doom community jargon
- That works for me. ConSiGno (talk) 15:11, 18 June 2015 (CDT)
- I've heard all of those before, as well as "waggle". Looks like I need to add that to both articles. ConSiGno (talk) 17:48, 22 June 2015 (CDT)
Pain elemental common nickname "meatball"
This has been considered contentious a couple of times now, so here are a few good sources just to start:
- Usenet post from 1996
- Doomworld search
- Blog post - "I guess you also see the first pain elemental, but the meatball is a joke when the marine's arsenal has been so upgraded."
- Someone on Facebook's idea for a food: "My favorite idea so far is basically a spicy meatball filled w/ a Carolina Reaper based sauce/chutney. I've dubbed it the pain elemental."
- Blog post - "Pain Elemental: Affectionately referred to as "meatballs" in our little circle, the Pain Elemental is a great monster in that it's extremely annoying but admittedly effective."
- YouTube video entitled "Useless meatball" showing PEs that cannot spawn any souls.
Here comes flame boi
Does Flame Boi (blame the Text to Doom mod released last May) see considerable use within the community, or is it too recent to add here? I've recall people using it when Doom Eternal was announced last E3... 126.96.36.199 10:45, 8 January 2019 (CST)
Sources for abbreviations
Some of these just added are quite common but others I have never heard in use. Is there some source for this? This page is emphatically only for things that are established community consensus. --Quasar (talk) 10:55, 30 December 2021 (CST)
For clarity, these are the ones in particular that I have never seen in use, let alone wide use. AP is certainly an abbreviation used in some games, such as RPGs, but I've never seen it applied to Doom. The rest seem made up whole-cloth and wouldn't ever be clear without being explained.
- AP - Armor points
- BA - Blue Armor
- GA - Green Armor
- MS - Megasphere
- PG - Plasma gun
- PI - Partial invisibility
- RS - Radiation shielding suit
- SS - Soulsphere
- AlexMax says BA/GA do have use in multiplayer parlance but has not heard of the others. --Quasar (talk) 14:12, 31 December 2021 (CST)
- Marked off "PG" as according to dew this is used in the multiplayer community as well. Marked off "AP", "MS", and "SS" as according to Mikolah, these are used in the Russian community - however as this is centered on English usage, this needs to be mentioned in the article if they're going to remain included. --Quasar (talk) 04:43, 1 January 2022 (CST)
While external users are indeed likely to encounter these and wonder what they are, I feel like they're not necessarily jargon, and that they open a slippery slope of listing every kind of port and mod here which is not the goal of this article at all. We already have list articles for those. Input? --Quasar (talk) 11:28, 16 January 2022 (CST)
- I don't consider port names to be jargon either. Common abbreviations of port names probably fit, but describing the actual names of ports as jargon doesn't seem right. Joe-ilya, would you like to expand on your reasoning, please? Gauss (talk) 11:33, 16 January 2022 (CST)
- Seconded. --Xymph (talk) 12:23, 16 January 2022 (CST)