Talk:Getting the Original Doom with XWE
|The content associated with this talk page was considered for deletion, and either was deleted, or was kept after a period of discussion. This page has been retained for historical reference regarding the deletion process, or in case of future restoration of any deleted content.|
This article is full of problems. Let me list a few:
- "To get the original Doom,
you have to buy itnot anymore!" — Gee, it's always a good idea to begin a page with a sentence that evokes warez!
- The method exposed here does not have to be with XWE. Any lump manager can do the work just as well.
- The method proposed does not work.
- Screenshotting the shareware titlescreen? First, you could just extract it rather than screenshot it, secondly the shareware screen contains a message at the bottom which isn't there in the registered version.
- More importantly, any of the level differences between registered and ultimate (such as the switch on the north column to open the wall to the courtyard) are not restored to their pre-ultimate version.
- There already exist the ladopato utility that can perform perfectly accurate downgrades and is a lot better if you want to create a registered Doom IWAD from an Ultimate Doom IWAD.
So, for all these reasons — questionable writing, misleading title, flawed approach — I recommend this article be deleted. --Gez 20:05, December 18, 2010 (UTC)
- Agreed, delete. No need to give tutorials for doing something the hard way when there are more valid and user-friendly options available. -- Janizdreg 00:10, December 20, 2010 (UTC)
- Makes sense. The current revision has even less content (it could easily be merged into Versions of Doom and Doom II for example). Delete. Ryan W 19:30, 26 November 2011 (UTC)
No one has refuted these concerns, so the page has been deleted. Ryan W 22:59, 6 May 2012 (UTC)