- How about making this a news page for the Doom community where anyone can announce projects, etc? Fredrik 04:22, 5 Feb 2005 (PST)
- Sounds like an excellent idea to me, seconded. Janizdreg 04:49, 5 Feb 2005 (PST)
- I don't like the name "Current events" though. How about "News board" (simple and to the point)? Or just "News"? Fredrik 10:36, 6 Feb 2005 (PST)
- Yes: "News" seems to be fine - Jive 10:18, 12 Feb 2005 (GMT)
if it's old news, how about either not putting it in 'news' or putting it somewhere which makes sense chronologically? We could just as well paste the entire Timeline as old news ;) -- Jdowland 09:37, 8 March 2006 (UTC)
- Or alternatively, bring it up to date by mentioning that the most recent version is 1.0.02 - DooMAD 18:36, 8 March 2006 (UTC)
As should be obvious I've been undertaking an effort to develop a new concept for the news board which will hopefully revitalize it. This should work similar to the Current events portal on Wikipedia when it is finished.
One of the main questions I currently have is how we want to deal with the storage and regular archiving of content. At WP, every day's news is a single item, which isn't quite what I have envisioned here - this would be one news item per story, like a regular journalistic publication. Do we want each news story to be its own article? If so we'll need a regular naming convention, as I'd like there to be Month-Year categories that link news stories together once they're archived (this would be handled by the footer template on archive pages).
At WP, old news is accessible by year and by month. But, they have bots to help automatically create the categories and move things around, while we do not, so we need to carefully consider the architecture and how much maintenance overhead it will have, and try to keep that minimized. --Quasar (talk) 11:53, 19 August 2015 (CDT)
- The news board is now live; as I never received any feedback on the design, I had to settle on an architecture myself. News will be built up monthly and transcluded onto this main news board page, meaning that to roll over to the next month's news, one need only create the new subpage and change the transclusion - no movement of content or loss of editing history is implied. Feedback is still welcome. I want to suggest that the main news board and news-by-year pages should be permanently protected, so that editing is directed to the proper subpages. --Quasar (talk) 20:13, 23 August 2015 (CDT)
- Very polished; I sense a unified "look and feel" developing in our templates. Even resembles the twitter feed slightly, and I assume you haven't been tweaking that skin's CSS. :>
- The only suggestion I might make is formatting page titles as YYYY-MM so MediaWiki can sort them, thus maybe we'd transclude Special:PrefixIndex or a subcategory instead of maintaining an archive index? I know it decreases readability slightly, but you specifically asked for ideas to reduce paperwork. Ryan W (talk) 21:37, 24 August 2015 (CDT)
Why hasn't the page been updated?
This news is from almost 2 years ago, I'm just curious why the page hasn't been updated in so long considering its a news event board. -- Cacadem0n64 01:01, 8 May 2021 (EST).
Vritty.com released DOOM Zandronum for Mac OS in ARM native and Intel single installer. Also available on the Apple App Store. Free in both cases. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Doomarm (talk • contribs) .