Talk:Ultimate Simpsons Doom
Is this a gameplay mod?
After doing some edits on this page a little while ago, I changed my mind and don't think Simpsons Doom is actually a gameplay mod. It doesn't change enemy or player behavior, only visuals and audio. I know this first-hand, having played with it a number of hours earlier this year. (If you've ever liked the show, I recommend trying it sometime.) So, overall, it's more of a silly wad than anything. But it is quite good quality for this sort of thing, probably better than Clinton Doom and other silly crap people have made over the years :)
I'm posting this here in case others disagree. Since the gameplay mod article and category are very new, it would be good to have a consensus on mods like this. --PhilthyPhilistine (talk) 22:56, 22 December 2021 (CST)
- Doesn't seem to fit gameplay mod if those require altered gameplay semantics. However in that case it should I think be restored to partial conversions, as it replaces a massive amount of graphics and sounds. It also needs to be in Crossovers which it currently is not, due to being a pop culture theme mod, but I didn't want to add that while the review on this issue is pending. --Quasar (talk) 23:10, 22 December 2021 (CST)
- It doesn't seem to be required for the consensus that was reached on the talk page; quoting Xymph: "I associate PC with changes in graphics/sounds/behavior (usually at least two of those categories)", to which I agreed. For me it is a matter of scale and this mod more or less reskins the entire game to have a Simpsons theme. Whereas w/BTSX, which was a key mod becoming part of that argument, the game is decidedly still Doom. If it would end up in the /themes directory when placed on idgames, there's a strong chance it would qualify. Going the extra mile and having maps with a story to them as well would have made this a total conversion, would it not? --Quasar (talk) 23:20, 22 December 2021 (CST)
- You make good arguments for the Simpsons being a PC, since it adds wall textures, flats, new game music (for Doom2), different decor sprites, and probably other stuff I can't remember. The point is, you're right, if it had custom maps it would be a total conversion.
- So here's what I propose: could you or someone else (perhaps Dynamo) who knows a lot of Doom history try to improve the PC article? I'm confident the TC and gameplay mod articles are fine as-is, since those are clear-cut entities. But with PC, there's gray area that I don't know enough about. As of now, I'm only going to focus on editing clear-cut gameplay mod articles. I'll leave the PCs (or possible PCs) alone. --PhilthyPhilistine (talk) 23:35, 22 December 2021 (CST)
Thinking out loud, I don't know for sure the Simpsons mod would be a total conversion, even if it had custom maps. Because, as I stated originally, none of the weapons or enemies actually behave differently. Without behavioral changes, how much is truly "converted". For example: until now, I forgot that I played this mod with a few maps of Mordeth. It really is only visual and audio changes to Doom. As impressive and fun as those changes are, the gameplay feels very similar to vanilla Doom. (And there is no extra gore; I was using Bolognese with it too.)
That said, I still stand by my last indented paragraph. It would be good for someone else to work on the partial conversion article. Stuff like the /themes Quasar mentioned are foreign to me, didn't even know it existed. (I'm not a mapper and have no desire to try it.) --PhilthyPhilistine (talk) 23:47, 22 December 2021 (CST)
- Reviewing that article again, I did accept text that stated levels were part of the equation. I guess the whole thing is just a big confusing mess when you get down to it. I'm going to accept the state of this for now, and somebody else can weigh in if they want on what they think this should categorize as in the meantime. I think it's going to remain a subjective matter because it always was one in the past. Nobody ever really defined what the hard line is between a regular "mod", a PC, or a TC. They were appellations that got applied to things that seemed to "obviously" fit the term, without any fine argumentation or detail lawyering involved. --Quasar (talk) 23:54, 22 December 2021 (CST)
Another Simpsons WAD?
I played a different Simpsons WAD, but for some reason, I can't find any information about this anywhere. Does anyone know anything about it?
The reason I know it's different, is that I remember:
- Sideshow Bob was the cacodemon
- Snake is the arachnotron
- One of the Bouvier twins is the hell knight
- Quimby is the archvile
BTW, did you guys leave Wikia (now Fandom) when they went to their revolting current advertisement model? That's what we did with the Ultima Codex.22.214.171.124 10:21, 21 April 2022 (CDT)