Team Future is a group focused on level design that have created mods for Doom II and Doom 3. Their PWADs, RTC-3057 for ZDoom (July 2004) and Ni'mRoD - Project Doom for Skulltag (December 2005), both won Cacowards. The team's Doom 3: Phobos mod started in 2004 underwent over 14 years of development time before reaching major releases in Episode 1 (December 2018) and Episode 2 (September 2020).
The team was formed by X-Blade in early 2000 to work on ZDoom total conversion Doom 3057. In 2001 the project merged with Shaviro's The RTC Corporation to form hybrid title RTC-3057 that would focus on level design with ZDoom hubs. Shaviro later took over the reins as team lead and chief level designer of RTC-3057.
The team website was hosted on doomhq.com from 2000 until 2001 when Shaviro moved it to his own domain name nautrup.com with a new web design by Boris Iwanski. Progress updates were published until the RTC-3057: Blue hub was released on July 27, 2004. The project's preview demo level was named to Top 100 WADs of All Time under 2003, and the completed hub was named a winner in Cacowards 2004.
In December 2004, Team Future announced Doom 3: Phobos, a new mod for Doom 3 with a storyline acting as an unofficial sequel for Doom 3. The team's website was redesigned by new team member (and modeller) Kristian Käll (Kristus), and moved to his Doomworld-hosted page. An online forum for the project also opened on MancuNET.
During 2005, Kristus lead a new Doom II project Ni'mRoD - Project Doom under the Team Future banner which was a Skulltag mod and multiplayer sequel to Kristus' 2002 WAD Ni'mRoD - IXNAY on the HOMBRE. Project Doom also won a 2005 Cacoward, this time in the deathmatch category.
Doom 3: Phobos development screenshots were posted to the Doomworld forums over many years with publicly-available information quieting by 2007. In August 2008, Team Future relaunched with a new web site at domain name tfuture.org. In June 2011, Team Future started a Twitter account to share Doom 3: Phobos progress.
After a 14 year development cycle, Episode 1 of Doom 3: Phobos was completed on December 3, 2018. Its followup Episode 2 appeared September 27, 2020.
Doom II era
- Jacob Kruse (Shaviro)
- Nick Baker (NiGHTMARE)
- Fredrik Johansson
- Julian Aubourg
- Boris Iwanski
- Ethan Watson (GooberMan)
- Mike Lightner (Mancubus II)
- Kristian Käll (Kristus)
- Melissa McGee (Agent Spork)
- Michael Niggel (Risen)
- Yashar Garibzadeh (GeminI)
Doom 3 era
- Jacob Kruse (Shaviro)
- Simon Nygaard Jensen (geX)
- Ben Monroe (Caffeine Freak)
- Kristian Käll
- Martin Sanchez
- Julianne Stone
- Pawel Zarczynski (NMN)
Body of work
- RTC-3057 Demo ( )
- RTC-3057: Blue ( )
- Doom 3: Phobos Episode 2
- Icarus Wing (1 May 2000). "IcarusWeb - Interview of the Month - May 2000: X-Blade." Retrieved 12 October 2000.
- X-Blade (6 May 2000). http://web.archive.org/web/20000929054552/http://www.doomhq.com/future/news.htm.. (archived 🗺). Retrieved 12 October 2020.
- Shaviro. "RTC-3057 web site from 2004." (archived 🗺). Retrieved 12 October 2020.
- Shaviro (23 December 2004). "Team Future's Phobos - Project and site announcement." (archived 🗺). Retrieved 12 October 2020.
- Shaviro (14 August 2008). "Team Future::Phobos::Doom 3: Phobos is back!" (archived 🗺). Retrieved 12 October 2020.