The Deimos Subway
The Deimos Subway (SUBWAY.WAD) is a single-level PWAD designed by Neal Ziring. It was originally released July 23, 1994.
The architecture of the map simulates several subway terminals connected by wide, dark tunnels, storage and maintenance areas, and even a ticket counter and a concession stand. It includes a handful of replacement textures, such as graffiti and photos of Comet Shoemaker-Levy, and an original music track, which is a rendition of the jazz standard "Take the "A" Train".
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Other points of interest
- Once you enter the train station through the first door, ascend the escalator to the west. At the top, one of the panels on the southern wall has barrels to either side. Open it to find a box of bullets and a rocket launcher. (sector 289)
- To the north of the stairs in the southeast of the level is a pillar with a backpack on it. After ascending the stairs, climb into the tree display to find a button in the southwest. Press this button and the pillar will drop, allowing you to pick up the backpack. (sector 75)
- In the southeast of the level, in the peach-colored room, the silver barrier has a button on its back. Press it and the wall will open behind you, revealing a medikit, an energy cell pack, and a door locked with the yellow key. (sector 54) Opening this door reveals a supercharge.
- After picking up the red key, go through the nearby tunnel and drop down to the platform north of the tracks. On the northern wall is a desk with multiple severed legs behind it. Push the easternmost side of the desk and it will drop, allowing you access to 4 shotgun shells and a chainsaw. (sector 402)
- At the northwest of the level, the southeast canal, unlike the other canals in the subway, can be jumped into. Once you do this, open the southern wall to find a passageway with a chaingun, twelve health bonuses, and a teleporter. (sector 253) Enter this teleporter to taken to the platform on the western side of the tracks.
- On the south side of the elevator leading to the red key door in the northwest, there is a recess in the wall. Halfway up the elevator, a passage is cut into this recess. Enter it to find a supercharge. (sector 235)
- In the room where the blue key is found, there is a white teleport pad in the southeast of the room. Enter it to be warped to a passage where you can look out the window to see the boss arena at the end of the level. (sector 382) Enter the teleporter and you will be brought back in front of the door leading into the elevator.
- In the storage room, there is a recess in the wall in the southeast which is blocked by a raised wall and three barrels. In the nukage-filled room, press the button on the west wall, and this wall will drop. Blow up the barrels and open the wall behind them to find a medikit, a rocket, and megaarmor. (sector 395)
- At the northeast portion of the jail, the vines covering the walls are interrupted by an opening leading into an alcove. Enter it to find a chainsaw. (sector 162)
- In the red rock tunnels, there is a switch in the northwest. Activate it to open a passageway in the middle of the east-to-west tunnel, containing an energy cell pack. (sector 42) At the end of this passage is a door that leads into a room containing a stimpack, a rocket, an energy cell, an energy cell pack, and the BFG9000.
- Inside secret #10, the moss-covered door to the west leads into another passage containing four armor bonuses. (sector 30) Press the button at the end of this passage to open your way back into the subway.
- At the teleporter to the boss arena, beyond the blue key door, open the horned-face panel to the west to uncover a medikit and armor. (sector 21)
The yellow key (thing 180) can easily be grabbed through the north wall of the car.
Although a radiation suit is provided in the storage room to protect against the nukage in the eastern room, only the river flowing into that room (sector 227) deals any damage. The section of the river between the "Poison" signs (sector 220) and the nukage inside that room (sector 222) are completely harmless.
The switch that opens the exit (linedef 1585) can be activated from below without ascending the stairs that lead to it.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map on the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
|UV max||07:34||Chris Ratcliff (Ryback)||2012-05-26||subw-ryb.zip|
This information was last verified in its entirety on September 23, 2014.
Inspiration and development
The coordinate range for this map is nowhere near the point (0,0). Ziring states that this is due to a bug in DEU v5.21 which produced a corrupted PWAD upon saving, forcing him to copy-paste the entire layout into a new file.
- , by Funduke