The Unholy Trinity
|The Unholy Trinity|
|Trinity College in Doom|
|Authors||Steve McCrea, et al.|
|This mod was one of the ten 1994 mods to feature in the Top 100 WADs of All Time on Doomworld!|
|1994 - 1995 - 1996 - 1997 - 1998|
1999 - 2000 - 2001 - 2002 - 2003
The Unholy Trinity, or Trinity College, is a single-level PWAD designed by Steve McCrea, Simon Wall, and Elias Papavassilopoulos. As part of their 10 Years of Doom feature, Doomworld named it one of the ten best WADs of 1994.
This map uses a large number of custom textures to create striking "photorealistic" buildings and courtyards, modeled on the real Trinity College in Cambridge, England. It also features an original animation sequence and a replacement music track, which is a partial rendition of "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" by Johann Sebastian Bach.
Trinity was originally released on August 22, 1994 (as "trinity.wad"). A second version ("trinity2.wad") was issued September 4, 1994 to fix a bug involving texture patches.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Step into first court and get to the extreme north-east of it. Enter the arch leading to the curvy stairs (at first glance, you may think it is a texture; in fact, this is fake one). Enter the first room, then second and take the blue key. Backtrack outside into the court.
In the court, go south-westward to open the blue door. There, go upstairs and turn right. Press the switch to get access to the southern court. Enter the tiled door. In the small outside, enter either door that reads "poison". Step into the southern court. There, turn left into winding tunnel to find another court. Enter the north-eastern arch (again, you can walk through this texture) to find a staircase inside. Walk up and go northwards along the corridor. Open the door to your right, then to your left. Have the yellow key. Other rooms here are optional. Backtrack to the court, then as a shortcut use the northern area. Open the door leading northwards and open the yellow door leading to the initial court.
Open the door requiring the yellow key in the north (the initial court). Blow up the barrels and enter the door. Grab the red key and return to the court.
While in the initial court, enter the main entrance south. Here, walk into southern court. In that court, turn left and enter the arch (you can also enter this place via the south-eastern court). Open the door requiring red key. Lower the shelf which distinguishes a bit from others. Flip the switch for the end.
Other points of interest
- There are two doors connecting the red key room with the outside corridor. One is in the north-east, the other in the south-west (both are located behind barrels at the ends of the corridor). The latter counts as a secret. (sector 81)
- From the room with the switch that opens the door to the square southern area, jump across the gap to the west and go down the stairs. Turn right and continue until you reach 2 radiation suits. Jump into the lava, and continue to the left (you can walk down the middle of the path). Towards the end there is a room on the right containing 1-5 imps, a rocket launcher, a box of rockets, and a medikit (easy and medium skills only). There is a door leading from this room to opposite the radiation suits platform which opens on collecting the yellow key. The secret is also accessible using a secret lift at the southern end of the north-west room with the two columns of barrels. (sector 166)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|NM speed||3:29.03||Serge Marudov (Never_Again)||2003-04-22||trinityn329.zip|
|UV max||6:55.46||Aleks Shahov (Plut)||2012-11-07||trinity-655.zip|
|NM 100S||3:39.71||Serge Marudov (Never_Again)||2009-10-25||trinitys339.zip|
|UV -fast||8:24.43||Serge Marudov (Never_Again)||2003-07-02||trinityf824.zip|
|NoMo||1:44.37||Walter Confalonieri (daimon)||2015-11-15||trinityo144.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on November 30, 2021.
This level contains thirteen spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 38)
- facing south. (thing 39)
- facing south. (thing 40)
- facing west. (thing 399)
- facing west. (thing 400)
- facing east. (thing 401)
- facing west. (thing 402)
- facing west. (thing 403)
- facing south. (thing 404)
- facing south. (thing 405)
- facing south-west. (thing 406)
- facing west. (thing 407)
- facing south-west. (thing 408)
The original WAD is not compatible with Ultimate Doom, but there is a patch ("trinityu.wad") that fixes this.
Inspiration and development
Rial Fletcher released a Doom II conversion of Trinity in November 1996. Olivier Montanuy released a Heretic version in March 1995 (not February 1994 as the readme file claims), with the music track removed as it tended to crash the game.
- With respect to the real college, compass heading has been rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise (i.e. the Wren Library is in the southwest corner, but should be in the northwest corner).
- The Subjective History of Doom Editing, version 0.1 by Raphaël Quinet (archived)
- "Trinity.Wad: How I Made It. For those who don't know and can't be arsed to work it out for themselves, but do give a shit", post to rec.games.computer.doom.editing
- Map of the University of Cambridge (official site)