Tim Willits was the studio director for id Software, and a previous co-owner of the company before its sale to ZeniMax Media. He joined id Software in 1995 as a level designer after impressing them with his Empire and Raven series of Doom PWADs. Willits has also worked on Quake, Quake II, Quake III Arena, Quake III: Team Arena and Doom 3, also developed by id Software. Tim Willits announced he would be leaving id Software after 24 years during the run-up to QuakeCon 2019.
Many of his levels were designed along with his sister, Theresa Chasar.
Willits was listed tenth in the top ten level designers of all time, according to Doomworld's 5 years of doom.
Willits is a graduate of the University of Minnesota and a former member of the University of Minnesota Army ROTC program. Willits was the battalion cadet-command sergeant major (C/CSM) during his junior year and attended ROTC Advanced Camp at Fort Lewis, Washington during the summer between his junior and senior years of college. After an injury during the summer, Willits completed two rotations, being assigned to both the first and seventh cadet regiments during that summer. He held the rank of cadet-major (C/MAJ) during his senior year and was assigned as the battalion training officer.
- The Ultimate Doom (1995)
- Master Levels for Doom II (1995)
- Strife: Quest for the Sigil (1996)
- Quake (1996)
- Quake II (1998)
- Quake III Arena (1999)
- Doom 3 (2004)
- Quake 4 (2005)
- Rage (2011)
- Doom 3: BFG Edition (2012)
- Doom (2016)
- Quake Champions (2017)
- Doom VFR (2017)
- Rage 2 (2019)
Levels by Tim Willits
Master Levels for Doom II
- Willits was referenced in the Doom movie as Dr. Willits.
- This article incorporates text from the open-content Wikipedia online encyclopedia article Tim Willits.
- Halfacree, Gareth (19 July 2019). "Tim Willits announces departure from id Software." Bit-Gamer. Retrieved 12 August 2019.
- Morris, Chris (12 August 2019). "Exclusive: id Software’s Tim Willits Joins Saber Interactive as Chief Creative Officer." Fortune. Retrieved 12 August 2019.
| Doom era
| Doom 3 era
| ZeniMax era