Timeline of source port releases
This is a timeline of source port releases and directly related events. For the primary Doom timeline, see the Timeline article. For modifications, including those which require source ports, see the timeline of mod releases.
- December 23 - The Doom source code is released by id Software.
- December 23 - DOSDoom 0.1 is released, becoming the first unofficial source port and coining the term itself.
- January 1 - Final release of ATB Doom.
- January 29 - Final release of NTDOOM.
- February 12 - Doom Legacy is initially released.
- March 6 - ZDoom is initially released.
- May 27 - Boom is initially released.
- October 22 - Final release of Boom at version 2.02.
- November 15 - PrBoom 2.02 is released.
- December 7 - The OGRE project is announced by TeamTNT as a merger with DosDoom. After initial widespread interest, attracting even the attentions of John Carmack, the project is abandoned.
- December 23 - Final version of glDoom is released after the loss of its source code.
- January 3 - MBF 2.03 is released.
- January 11 - Raven Software releases the source code for Heretic and Hexen.
- March 10 - Final version of DOSDoom is released; work immediately continues on its direct successor, EDGE.
- March 20 - Release of SMMU v3.10.
- September - Initial release of Vavoom.
- October 3 - The source code for Doom is re-released under the General Public Licence (GPL) by John Carmack, thanks to persuasion by Andrew "Linguica" Stine.
- October 11 - Boom is re-licensed under the GPL. MBF, SMMU, DosDoom, and Doom Legacy follow rapidly in its footsteps.
- November 1 - jHexen is initially released.
- March 20 - jHeretic is initially released.
- May 31 - jDoom is initially released.
- June 22 - EDGE is initially released.
- August 17 - Final build of SMMU v3.30 released.
- December 2 - csDoom is initially released.
- January 8 - The Eternity Engine reaches public beta.
- February 20 - ZDaemon is forked from csDoom.
- September 17 - Final release of WinDoom.
- July - ZDaemon becomes a closed source project.
- August 7 - Final release of ZDoomGL.
- August 30 - Initial release of GZDoom.
- September 7 - Chocolate Doom is initially released.
- January 27 - Final release of SvStrife at version 1.4.
- January 28 - Final version of csDoom is released.
- January 22 - Initial release of Odamex.
- July 10 - First version of Doom64 EX is released.
- July 12 - Initial release of ReMooD.
- September 4 - Raven Software re-releases the source code for Heretic and Hexen under the GNU GPL.
- November 8 - Last release of Skulltag.
- December 31 - Final release of Vavoom.
- February 15 - nDoom beta is released for the TI-Nspire graphing calculator.
- March 9 - Final version of EDGE is released.
- April 11 - Initial version of 3DGE is released.
- November 22 - the Doom 3 source code is released.
- June 3 - Zandronum is forked from Skulltag.
- June 7 - Carnevil announces cancellation of the Skulltag project.
- December 10 - Chocolate Doom v2.0.0 is released with added support for Heretic, Hexen, and Strife.
- December 10 - Doom Retro is initially released.
- November 30 - The 3DO source code is released.