Tome of Power
The Tyketto's Tome of Power is an artifact that appears in Heretic, Heretic II and Hexen II. It looks like a black book with a skull on the cover. Activating the Tome of Power gives all of the weapons their power mode for 40 seconds. The Tome of Power can also restore players to their normal state if they have been transformed into a chicken by the Morph Ovum. When the Tome of Power is active, it appears in the top corner of the screen spinning, and starts to blink when the tome is about to expire.
This item is included in the items percentage displayed at the end of each level in Heretic.
- The Tome of Power and Gauntlets of the Necromancer make a powerful combination. A player being healed by powered-up gauntlets will rarely be killed unless surrounded by enemies.
Power Modes of Heretic Weapons
- Staff - Becomes surrounded by blue energy that gives it increased power, in addition to a powerful knock-back effect.
- Gauntlets of the Necromancer - Their lightning becomes red, has increased range and transfers health from damaged enemies to the player.
- Elven Wand - Fires in a spread pattern, similar to Doom's shotgun, but with the addition of a pair of slower fireballs with each shot.
- Ethereal Crossbow - The number of bolts fired with each shot increases to five, and the bolts are more powerful.
- Dragon Claw - Slows down in firing rate, but each shot splits into a ring of spiked balls that tear through enemies.
- Hellstaff - Slows down in firing rate, but causes a fiery substance to rain down over the area each bolt hits. The bolts can also home in on an enemy if one is in the line of fire.
- Phoenix Rod - A short range flamethrower that deals heavy damage; if the player holds fire, the stream can last for up to 10 seconds with a single unit of ammo.
- Firemace - Fires huge steel balls that bounce around and deal severe damage, and will automatically kill any non-boss enemies with a single hit. They will also bounce in a seeking form, thus if a targeted monster dodges the first shot, it will bounce back at them from behind. It still disappears when it hits water.
|Tome of Power data|
|Thing type||86 (decimal), 56 (hex)|
|Appears in||Shareware Heretic|
The IWADs contain the following numbers of tomes of power per skill level:
|Health||Crystal Vial | Quartz Flask | Mystic Urn|
|Armor||Silver Shield | Enchanted Shield|
|Items||Crystal Vial | Map Scroll | Bag of Holding | Ammo | Keys|
|Artifacts||Chaos Device | Morph Ovum | Mystic Urn | Quartz Flask | Ring of Invincibility | Shadowsphere | Timebomb of the Ancients | Tome of Power | Torch | Wings of Wrath|