UV Tyson is a Compet-N speedrunning category and a Doom Honorific Title. The objective is to finish the level as quickly as possible in Ultra-Violence, killing every monster at least once, except lost souls, with the following restrictions: no weapons other than the fist, berserk fist, chainsaw, and pistol may be used. Picking up other weapons is permitted, but they may not be fired.
There exist collections of demos recorded with additional restrictions (on levels where they are possible), such as not becoming invulnerable, playing with fast monsters (also called "Grandmaster" or "GM Tyson" style), using only the fist and berserk fist, or using only the chainsaw. These distinctions are not recognized by Compet-N.
A total of ten Plutonia levels contain berserk packs, and only four contain chainsaws. Because of this (and supplemented by the advanced difficulty of the megawad in overall), speedrunning most Plutonia levels in Tyson represents a serious challenge.
- A demo may qualify for inclusion in the Compet-N archive by tallying 63% kills, as the last room in this level is considered a bit unfair.
- Although Compet-N maintains a UV Tyson competition for this level, it is currently not believed to be feasible non-assisted.
- Uncompleted as of the most recent Compet-N database update.
- Players are permitted to use the official patch file (see yellow keycard bug for details) when recording demos for this level.
- A demo may qualify for inclusion in the Compet-N archive by tallying 77% kills, as the last room in this level is considered a bit unfair.