UAC Mars Base
The UAC Mars Base is a UAC base on the planet Mars which features as the primary setting of the 2016 Doom. It is the center of the UAC's Argent energy research projects, which utilize interdimensional travel and portals to harness the energy of Hell for use by mankind. It is located in Hellas Planitia, a plain within the Hellas impact basin, which is both the lowest terrain on the planet itself, and the largest known visible impact crater in the Solar System.
- Site 03, a minor facility set apart by a stretch of land known as the Martian Outskirts. The Doom Slayer's sarcophagus and Praetor suit were moved here by Dr. Samuel Hayden.
- Resource Operations, the base's communications center.
- Foundry, an integrated steel mill.
- Argent Facility, the primary center of research on Argent energy. The tower is adjacent.
- Argent Energy Tower, the main reactor used to extract Argent energy from Hell.
- Advanced Research Complex, the main general research laboratory area. Top-secret areas are dedicated to specific studies on topics such as the BFG-9000. Samuel Hayden's office is located here.
- Lazarus Labs, the main center of Hell studies. Dr. Olivia Pierce's office is here. A Hell portal exists in this facility, used for interdimensional travel, and the Helix Stone and other tablets and artifacts from Hell are kept here.
- VEGA Central Processing, a massive facility dedicated exclusively to operation of the base's sentient artificial intelligence, VEGA.
Pre-release materials released by Bethesda in the wake of E3 2015 referred to the entirety of the Mars Base as the "Argent Facility," a name which was later reduced to only refer to the central energy extraction and conversion facility. It was said that research was undertaken there on diverse projects such as the portable electromagnetic particle accelerator, a technology which was said to be used in the plasma rifle. These materials also vaguely stated that the discovery of "artificial symbols" near the base marking the surface of Mars would serve as a catalyst for its invasion by the forces of Hell. Most of these details did not survive to the game's release.
- Argent is an English adjective and a term in heraldry denoting the color silver. It derives from Latin argentum, with the same meaning.