- Here are some notes I made in the old days, about categorizing new articles. Ryan W 14:43, 24 September 2011 (UTC)
Rules of thumb
Check regularly, since Special:NewPages only goes back 30 days.
- Bugs: Anything involving Things should be in Category:Gameplay or a subcategory. Anything involving rendering, line-of-sight issues, or "2.5D vs 3D" physics should be in Category:Doom engine.
- Disambiguation pages should only be in Category:Disambig.
- Editing tutorials should be in one editing category and maybe one other category (e.g. textures, new features, audio).
- Images should be in one category for their licensing status and one category for their subject matter.
- IRC channel articles should only be in Category:IRC, because the content of an IRC channel is inherently random.
- People: If indelibly associated with a specific community activity, like speedrunning or port programming, they can go in that category as well as Category:People.
- Source port articles may be in Category:Source ports even if also in a more specific subcategory, for easier navigation.
- Templates should only be in Category:Templates or one subcategory.
- year of release
- port requirement (vanilla, limit removing, Boom compatible, ZDoom, ...)
- is it a megawad, episode WAD, or single-level WAD?
- is it a total conversion or partial conversion?
- is it a Cacoward winner (including supplementary awards and the 10 Years features)?
- is it a multiplayer-only WAD?
- is it a member of a WAD series lacking its own article?
- is it a texture pack?
- is it another kind of resource-only WAD?
- is it a joke WAD?
- is it a demonstration WAD for an editing tutorial (here or elsewhere)?
- Category:Events if it is the result of a competition
- title (happens automatically if you use the "name=" parameter in Template:Map)
- author (one category per person)
- map slot if part of a multi-map WAD (happens automatically with Template:Map)
- game title if part of a commercial release (should be automatic when a navbox is used)
- is it a secret level?
- is it a stock level whose console counterpart also has an article?