|This mod received one of the 2015 Cacowards on Doomworld!|
Valiant is a 32-level megawad for MBF-compatible source ports, created by Paul DeBruyne (skillsaw). It features extensive DeHackEd work in order to provide an enhanced roster of enemies, most of them adapted from the Realm 667 "Beastiary".
The plot centers on the protagonist's investigation and struggle against "Project Valiant", a mutagenic product which will provoke a "bioengineered, cybernetic apocalypse" if it is allowed to reach Earth.
The WAD was named as one of the winners of the 22nd Annual Cacowards.
Skillsaw released later an alternate version of Valiant without the custom monsters and weapons, intended to be used with gameplay mods such as Demonsteele. The maps themselves were also changed and rebalanced since the original maps were designed taking the modifications into account. The Vaccinated Edition is meant to be a bonus alternate version rather than a replacement for the original.
Valiant features five episodes, in ports based on ZDoom or the Eternity Engine these episodes are integrated with the menu, while in other ports a death exit is used to reset player health and inventory at the end of each episode.
The pistol and chaingun are replaced by a "super pistol" and a "super chaingun", both of which have a much faster rate of fire than the weapons they replace. When holding down fire, the pistol takes only nine tics instead of fourteen between shots; and the chaingun takes only four tics instead of eight. To accommodate for the increased fire rate, the player can carry 50% more clips: 300 without a backpack, 600 with one. The number of bullets in pickups has also been increased by 50%: a chaingun contains 30 bullets, an ammo box 75, a backpack or a clip contains 15 bullets, and a clip dropped by a zombie contains 7 bullets.
- Super imp
- Also known as devil, it is a darker shade of brown than the normal imp, has more spikes, and shoots faster projectiles in volleys of two. It replaces normal imps.
- Super demon
- Also known as blood demon, it has no eyes and mechanized legs. It is faster than the normal demon, and leaves less time to dodge its bite. It replaces normal demons. Spectres have the same modifications.
- Super mancubus
- Also known as daedabus, its look similar to the Doom 3 mancubus. It has 900 hit points and attacks by shooting two volleys of six projectiles in a wide cone. It replaces the baron of Hell.
- Pyro Knight
- Also known as pyro demon, it is an orange and black Hell knight with 500 hit points and two different attacks it uses randomly, one in which it shoots a stream of four very fast projectiles, and the other where it fires two of these projectiles and four super imp projectiles. It replaces the Hell knight.
- A cyborg Hell knight with 500 hit points, it shoots rockets and is immune to blast damage. It replaces the spiderdemon. As a result, the regular spiderdemon replaces the light amplification visor and loses its immunity to blast damage, making it more vulnerable to rockets.
- An arachnotron without its walking apparatus, it floats slowly around and shoots streams of red plasma. It replaces the helper dog from MBF. Furthermore, when a regular arachnotron (which also shoots red plasma) is killed, it has a 50% chance of having an alternate animation where the arachnotron flees its broken walker, essentially spawning an arachnorb in the map; this is made possible by MBF's custom codepointers RandomJump and Spawn.
- Lightning Orb
- A large red orb usually placed atop a tower. It shoots red plasma and is invulnerable, but does not move. It replaces a decorative obstacle, the small marble column with a beating heart.
- Suicide Bomber
- A black-clad zombie holding a stick of explosive, the suicide bomber seeks its enemy and detonates when it gets close enough. It has 60 hit points, same as an imp, and will also explode when killed, potentially hurting nearby monsters. It replaces the lost soul corpse.
- Super Vile
- A modified diabolist featured as a very powerful monster, this is a red arch-vile with large horns. With 10000 hit points and a pyrokinetic attack that detonates several times, it serves as the final boss of the story. It replaces a decorative obstacle, the tall blue torch.
In addition, the Wolfenstein SS was turned into a chaingunner, so as to drop clips instead of chainguns. The normal chaingunner is not used in the levels.
Episode 1: A Different Breed
Episode 2: Abattoir of Thy Madness
Episode 3: Meet the New Corruption
Episode 4: Thou Art Annihilation
Episode 5: New Moon, Old Grudge