|Initial release||0.1 (January 1998, 23 years ago)|
|Latest release||0.6 (1998-03-01, 22 years ago)|
|Target Platform||Amiga (68k)|
|License||Doom Source License|
ZhaDoom68K initially started off as a port of AmigaDoom 0.3 to the StormC compiler, before going its own way. The first version for 68k was 0.12. This version still contained a lot of debugging code for both versions of the executable.
After several intermediate versions got out, mainly ironing out the debugging code out of the executable, the first real stepping stones appeared: Experimental network support was introduced in 0.17, with mouse, joystick and joypad support following a few versions later in 0.22.
Progress continued, with sound support appearing in 0.3 and the ability to run the game in a Workbench window at version 0.4. Bugfixed versions continued to be made, with the last significant introduction being version 0.6 that introduced IPX networking support.
After version 0.6, progress for the port dwindled. As ZhaDoom68K was simply a recompilation of the PPC executable and being the slowest port of Doom that ran on 68k based Amiga's, Haeuser decided to discontinue ZhaDoom68K as the PPC version gained more attention and recognition and suggested ADoom or DoomAttack as alternatives instead to play on 68k. Starting with 0.9, ZhaDoom68K was not included anymore in the package, making the last version 0.6, released on March 1, 1998.
- 320x200 resolution (same as Linux Doom)
- Works on ECS and on AGA
- Can run in a Workbench window
- RTG support, allows standardized resolutions and true colour screens to be available through common SVGA adapters
- Mouse and joystick support, as well as support for the CD32 joypad
- FPS calculator. Automatically calculates current frames per second
- Network support
ZhaDoom68K requires a Amiga with AmigaOS 3.0+ and a 68030 (030) processor with 8MB of RAM. You need the confusingly named ZhaDoomPPC.exe to use ZhaDoom68K.
- ZhaDoom is named after Z'Ha'Dum, the planet of the Shadows in the television series Babylon 5.
- ZhaDoom68K 0.6 directory (use ZhaDoomPPC.exe), at textfiles.com
- (In Polish) ZhaDoom68K 0.6 benchmarks and details, at Pekdar.net
- (In Polish) ZhaDoom release dates archive, at Pekdar.net
- ZhaDoom newsgroup archives, at Google Groups
|Source code genealogy|
|Based on||Name||Base for|