Zombie (Doom 3)
The basic Doom 3 zombie is a reinterpretation of the classic former human. They were once UAC civilian employees, now possessed by evil spirits. A scripted event early in the game shows scientist Jonathan Ishii coming into contact with a transparent "ghost skull," which turns him into a zombie. The demonic force that creates zombies does not differentiate between the living and the dead, as slain humans will be also be re-animated as zombies and do not seem to be any less powerful than the ones created through possession of a living host.
Zombies come in differently-colored clothes like the original zombie soldiers and have other minor characteristics in common with the classic zombie soldiers, such as one zombie type having withered hair (compared to the classic zombieman's green hair). The basic zombies in Doom 3 do not carry firearms like the Z-Secs, though a few may use wrenches and flashlights as clubs.
They come in a number of flavors, each with different heads (or even, occasionally, no head) and different damage skins.
Distinct types of zombies are listed here. Most regular zombie types have 80 health.
- Zombie scientist (wears a greenish or blue lab coat, can appear jawless, headless and faceless).
- Zombie maintenance worker (wears a brown-orange maintenance uniform, can appear jawless, headless and faceless.; may carry a wrench or a flashlight).
- Zombie marine (NOT the same as a Commando or a Z-Sec; unarmored, wears a blood-stained olive-colored set of BDUs). Very rare in the original game.
- Zombie civilian (wears a blackish coat/suit).
- Jumpsuit zombie (wears a brownish jumpsuit). Unlike the previous zombie types, this one has only 50 health. Quite rare in the original game.
- Fat zombie (fat, barefoot, civilian wearing grey clothes; can appear faceless and with an open stomach; may carry a wrench). Has 100 health.
- Skinny zombie (wears open shirts and shambles at a noticeably higher speed than normal zombies). Has only 50 health. A very rare type: encountered only three times in the original game, though it is found much more commonly in the expansion.
- Flaming zombie (affectionately monikered "Bernie", this burning zombie is noticeably faster than normal). Has 150 health. Also encountered only three times in the original game.
- Morgue zombie. Looks like the bony zombies but wears a pair of underwear. Unlike regular zombies, he runs instead of walking or shambling, making him quite fast. Has 100 health and, unlike, other zombies, has 1.25 headshot damage multiplier instead of 2. Appears only once in the game, in Mars City.
- Bony zombie (naked and very skinny, with burned skin). Appears only once in the game, in Hell in quantity of five.
- Chainsaw zombie (also known as "Sawyer"). A unique zombie type with a distinct appearance and armed with a chainsaw. Has 250 health. Very rare in the original game: appears only in two levels. One of these zombies in Delta Labs Sector 4, is seen wearing a party hat.
All zombies but the last four are very quiet save the moaning.
The basic zombie types take around eight pistol bullets to the body to kill, but headshots do twice the damage. They move rather slowly and are melee enemies only. However, their melee attacks do much more damage than Imp attacks, especially if they are armed with a flashlight or wrench to use as a club.
Mostly slow-moving and entirely melee-only, these monsters are really only in the game as target practice and for putting a scare on the player when they burst from a "monster closet". Any weapon, including fists and the flashlight, can be used effectively against them, but when a melee weapon is used, it is necessary to take careful aim and back away frequently to avoid their attacks. On the other hand, when facing a chainsaw zombie, forget melee, it is vital that you kill the zombie before it can attack you at close range.
Zombies are ideal enemies to use the pistol or the chainsaw on. When facing a chainsaw zombie you should use a rapid fire ranged weapon instead of weak or slow firing weapons.
If you notice a dead body on the ground, club it with a flashlight. Some zombies play dead, and this tactic will save the hassle of being ambushed by one.
The chainsaw zombie can also be killed by standing still with the chainsaw spinning, and letting the chainsaw zombie walk into the spinning blade and kill itself. If you instead run at a chainsaw zombie with the chainsaw, the zombie will be able to hit you with its chainsaw before it dies.
|Fast zombie with open shirt||spawn monster_zombie_maint|
|Bald maintenance zombie||spawn monster_zombie_maint_bald|
|Skinny maintenance zombie||spawn monster_zombie_maint_skinny|
|Maintenance zombie with no lower jaw||spawn monster_zombie_maint_nojaw|
|Maintenance zombie, no jaw, with wrench||spawn monster_zombie_maint_wrench|
|Maintenance zombie, no jaw, with flashlight||spawn monster_zombie_maint_flashlight|
|Skinny brown shirt zombie||spawn monster_zombie_suit_skinny|
|Brown shirt zombie with bloody mouth||spawn monster_zombie_suit_bloodymouth|
|Brown shirt zombie with no head||spawn monster_zombie_suit_neckstump|
|Jumpsuit zombie||spawn monster_zombie_jumpsuit|
|Skinny scientist zombie||spawn monster_zombie_labcoat_skinny|
|Scientist zombie with no head||spawn monster_zombie_labcoat_neckstump|
|Scientist zombie with bloody mouth||spawn monster_zombie_labcoat_limb|
|Scientist zombie with no face||spawn monster_zombie_labcoat_pipe|
|Bald marine zombie||spawn monster_zombie_tshirt_bald|
|Marine zombie with no face||spawn monster_zombie_tshirt_blown|
|Morgue zombie||spawn monster_zombie_morgue|
|Bony zombie||spawn monster_zombie_boney|
|Fat zombie||spawn monster_zombie_fat|
|Fat zombie with open abdomen||spawn monster_zombie_fat2|
|Fat zombie with open abdomen and wrench||spawn monster_zombie_fat_wrench|
|Flaming zombie (Bernie)||spawn monster_zombie_bernie|
|Chainsaw zombie (Sawyer)||spawn monster_zombie_sawyer|
The following monsters are related to the zombies:
|Monsters from Doom 3|
|Arch-vile | Cacodemon | Cherub | Commando | Demon | Hell knight | Imp | Lost soul | Maggot | Mancubus | Revenant | Tick | Trite | Wraith | Zombie | Z-Sec |
Bosses: Vagary | Guardian of Hell | Sabaoth | Cyberdemon
Alpha: Unfinished Doom 3 monsters
|Monsters from Resurrection of Evil|
|From Doom 3: Arch-vile | Cacodemon | Cherub | Commando | Demon | Hell knight | Imp | Maggot | Mancubus | Revenant | Tick | Trite | Wraith | Zombie | Z-Sec|
New hellspawn: Bio-Suit Zombie | Bruiser | Forgotten One | Vulgar
New bosses: Helltime Hunter | Berserk Hunter | Invulnerability Hunter | Maledict